Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Framework Unregistered Overnight / Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2003
US
Hi,

There are three workstations in the group where I work that are constantly having the .NET framework uninstalled if we reboot and then leave the machine on overnight. When we arrive in the morning and try to load an ASP.NET application we get a "Server Application Not Available" error.

In order to get the local ASP.NET applications running again we have to run aspnet_regiis -i and iisreset.

The question is what could be causing this? There is group policy in effect, perhaps Active Directory could be causing this? I asked the system admin and he said that there isn't anything defined that would cause this. Also, I ran GPUpdate.exe with the /force, /logoff and /boot switches. The ASP.NET applications always ran fine after this...so it does look like Active Directory is not the problem.

Are there any recent viruses that would cause this behaviour? I did a full virus scan that turned up nothing...

This is annoying, but if it happened to our servers it would obviously be a much bigger problem...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
FD

whats the startup mode of the asp.net state service? what account does it use for login? local asp account exist and not on others without prob or v/v?

Hi,

The state of the "ASP.NET State Service" is set to Manual, and it's logging on with the "NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService" account.

Thanks,
FD

is that similar to the machines that do not have the issue?
do all machines have same versions, all on 1.1? all service packs?

try automatic and start service.
Its a little different beast when running windows forms. All that service does as far as i understand is assist in session states for tcp/ip.

running the regiis should only affect local web servers, dont see how that would fix the issue temporarily, but it does huh? is your app calling a webservice then?

anyhoo, just a bouncing board here...

Yeah,

All the machines are configured the same, with the same versions of IIS and .NET. However, there must be some difference somewhere, I just need to figure out what it is.

You're right, the problem only effects the ASP.NET web applications on the local web servers.

I haven't tried running a windows Forms application yet. I have a feeling that it would run fine, and that it's only an IIS problem. Is that what you were getting at?

-FD

Hi,

Nobody has any other ideas? I'm stumped.

I think it's going to end up turning into a "Format c:" to see if that fixes the problem.

-FD

Yes, in the Event viewer there was an Application Error:

Code:
aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is 80070545. This error can be caused when the worker process account has insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the installation directory allow access to the configured account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at [URL unfurl="true"]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.[/URL]

This enventually led me to a page that recommended altering a machine.config key to see if the problem is with the ASPNET account. Here's the key down in the Machine.config that I changed in (C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG):

Code:
<processModel enable="true" timeout="Infinite" idleTimeout="Infinite" shutdownTimeout="0:00:05" requestLimit="Infinite" requestQueueLimit="5000" restartQueueLimit="10" memoryLimit="60" webGarden="false" cpuMask="0xffffffff" userName="machine" password="AutoGenerate" logLevel="Errors" clientConnectedCheck="0:00:05" comAuthenticationLevel="Connect" comImpersonationLevel="Impersonate" responseDeadlockInterval="00:03:00" maxWorkerThreads="20" maxIoThreads="20"/>

If I change userName to "SYSTEM" it works, so the problem is with the normal ASPNET account.

Again, from a link at the bottom of the previous article, I went through and applied permissions to folders based upon the recommendations in the following Microsoft article (
Still no luck though.

Is there a way to get Windows to enumerate the permissions that are defind for the ASPNET account? Then I can compare a working machine against a non-working one to see where I might be off.

Thanks,
FD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back