Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frameset Horizontal Scroll

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamish75

Technical User
Dec 18, 2009
GB
I have a frameset where one of the frames links to an external link. The external link page is wider than the frame and is causing a horizontal scroll bar in Internet Explorer but not in Firefox.

I want to remove the Horizontal scrolling completely.

I’ve spent an eternity trying to find the solution to this.

Can anyone help?

Here is the frameset:

Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN" "[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">[/URL]
<html>
<head>
<title>Popup Window</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<link rel="stylesheet" href="style.css" type="text/css">
</head>
<frameset rows="65,*,25">
<frame name="Header" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" noresize src="header.asp">
<frameset cols="160,*">
<frame name="HelpFrame" marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 scrolling="no" noresize src="help.asp" frameborder="0">
[b]<frame name="Page" class="page" marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 scrolling="auto"  style="overflow: auto; overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y:auto;" noresize src="[URL unfurl="true"]https://test.com/wrapper.aspx?Step=Details&Target=test"[/URL] frameborder="0">[/b]
</frameset>
<frame name="links" marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 scrolling="no" noresize src="frame_links.asp" frameborder="0">
</frameset><noframes></noframes>
</html>

Ah dinnae ken...

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Ah dinnae ken...

I can't seem to recreate your problem, however, for starters I would remove all those superfluous overflows. You have 4 different things conceivably affecting affecting the scrollbar, but contradicting each other.

You say you want no scroll bar yet you're specifically telling the frame to automatically handle the overflow and use scrollbars as needed: scrolling=auto I would assume that would be NO.

Then in your stylings, which we only see part of: you have overflow:auto, and then you go and specify x and y scrolling.

If your are going to be specific, about x and y scrolling, then remove the general overflow:auto;

With that said perhaps what is generating the scroll bar is the page being loaded inside, have you looked at the styles for that? Try setting the body's overflow to hidden, so it won't generate a scroll bar.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Thanks for the advice.

Ah dinnae ken...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back