Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frames, should I use them or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleMortis

Programmer
Jan 28, 2003
AU
Ok, When I learnt html, there was a whole chapter on making frames. I'm noticing however that it's not such a good Idea in regards to search engines etc. Though before the frames page, I do tend to put a single index.html page as the splash page so it finds that first. What are other's thoughts on the use of frames?

Do you want someone to link to an odd page in your site or would you prefer for them to come through the front door?

Emphatically the former. What's the point of getting search engines to spider the whole of your site if you're going to force all the resulting links to go to the front page? What's your attitude as a surfer on entering such an unfriendly site? Mine is "sod 'em I'll go somewhere more usable".

The strength of the internet is that one can go from one page of information on one site to another related page on another site without going through any "front doors". -- Chris Hunt
Extra Connections Ltd

There is nothing stopping framed content pages from 'rebuilding' themselves into the frameset. It only takes a little client side javascript and a little good will from the website author.

MSDN Library is a classic example of this feature (although I havent looked to see what technique they use). Tony
reddot.gif WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=2 VSPACE=3

ChrisHunt,
It may come as a suprise to you that:

1. Some people do not want their websites to be found
2. Lots of HTML is not used from a web-server

The title of this forum is HTML and CSS. There is another forum for website designers.

Cian,
I have enrolled for a course on "advanced emoticon usage".
[pipe] Clive

lets see how long this thread can get.......Here's my contribution [soapbox]
sleep is good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back