Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FrameMaker + SGML or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

hademtoo

Technical User
Feb 6, 2002
DE
Thanks to the advice from this forum and elsewhere, I think I will recommend to my boss that we purchase FrameMaker.

A question: The price difference for FrameMaker with SGML is rather significant. Once again, my boss is relying on me to make an informed decision. What are the advantages for a small co to have documents in SGML, specifically FrameMaker SGML? Is the interface itself different?

I realize that you asked this question several months ago, but, in case you haven't heard by now, FrameMaker incorporated the SGML part into its standard Frame product. So now there is only one version of FrameMaker.

From what I've heard, you can turn off the SGML menus and options in Frame 7 if you don't want to use them.

Rick

I actually did decide to wait a couple months, as I sensed Adobe was gearing up for a new release, and -- lo! it happened. Sometimes ya gotta love that second sense.

Thanks for the tip about turning the SGML menus off.

Do you have any book recommendations for a new user? I have never used FrameMaker before.

The best book I have found for FrameMaker is:

The Masters Series: FrameMaker 6
Author: Thomas Neuburger
ISBN: 1930597010

You can get it at:

(The authors website)

Enjoy using Framemaker

Lledod

Another book that I've heard people recommend is the Classroom in a Book for FrameMaker. (I don't have its Web site, but I'm sure a quick look on Google will find it for you.)

I can't speak from experience because I also use Neuberger's book.

Scriptorium has a Frame 7 book out. One of the ladies who wrote it did the FrameMaker for Dummies book several years ago. Following are the details that I received:

=====
To order, visit our web site:

Price: $41.99 plus shipping (that's 30% off the list price of $59.99)
(Standard Shipping in United States is $4.)
=====

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back