Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Framemaker 6 To Prepress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg25

Technical User
May 30, 2001
US
This is the first time i have had to deal with
FM to prepair files for printing
I guess create PDF files and work from their

FM 6 PC files with imbedded RGB images But client
did send CMYK images that i can replace with

Any sugjustions would be great Greg

K & G Design
kgdesign@warwick.net

Greg, most printers do, indeed, accept PDFs. That's the way to go. Often, if you ask the printer about their desired settings, they'll have a handout sheet for you.

Be sure and go through the Job Options settings in Distiller before you distill the job. If you're working on Windows or Unix, don't use File | Save As PDF (although it sometimes appears to work, even Adobe admits that it causes problems). Instead, make sure you have an Acrobat Distiller printer installed and that you installed it using Adobe's installer, not Windows. Then print to that Distiller printer using Print to File and distill the resulting file.

Hope this helps.

-Rhea Tolman

Also, please be aware that FrameMaker "simulates" CMYK. Even if you import CMYK images into Frame, Frame puts our RGB and, from that, simulates CMYK for spot colors and separations.

If you want true CMYK, then you'll need to supply your trade printer with the original CMYK files to be striped in manually. Dennis Hays, Publisher
mailto:dhays@haysdesign.com

Thanks for the tips
Greg

K & G Design
kgdesign@warwick.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back