Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

frame scrolling=auto in IE6

Status
Not open for further replies.

CliveC

Programmer
Nov 21, 2001
US
I have noticed that in IE6, frames within a frameset have an unecessary horizontal scroll bar when the need for a vertical scroll bar is triggered. Using scrolling="yes" clears up the problem but then vertical scroll bars appear even when they are not needed. Has anyone found a fix for this?

Thanks,
Clive Clive

Annoying isn't it??

You can try some CSS BUT I don't think this is complient.

{ overflow-y: scroll; overflow-x: hide; }

::

Yes, it is frustrating. IE6 essentially makes scrolling="auto" obsolete. Either you must use scrolling="yes" or scrolling="no". I am suprised that there has not been more mention of this. Using Google it seems that most of the comments come from Germany. As far as I can tell no one seems to have a solution. Clive

Forgot to mention previously but I found a solution to this. The problem occurs only if you use:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC &quot;-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN&quot;
&quot;<html xmlns=&quot; xml:lang=&quot;en&quot; lang=&quot;en&quot;>

if you just use <html> the problem goes away. I have noticed the doctype tag causing other anomolies also.

Clive

Well wouldnät you need to use the frameset DTD, the one above is for non-framed pages, reckon.

But I have noticed that type of thing before, with table height's for example.

Cian,

No. It is the doctype tag in the frame that you wish to have scrolling auto that you remove. A frame would not have a frameset DTD only the frameset.

Clive

This problem can also mess up JavaScript. For example:

Without the doctype tag, scrolltop is referred to as:
document.body.scrollTop

With the doctype tag, scrolltop is referred to as:
document.documentElement.scrollTop

EdwardMartin suggested in a different thread that with the doctype tag, IE6 uses a different DOM.

Clive

with this:
<html xmlns=&quot; xml:lang=&quot;en&quot; lang=&quot;en&quot;>
is the problem caused by xmlns=&quot;or
xml:lang=&quot;en&quot; lang=&quot;en&quot;

I've always used the former, never the later. (I also don't use frames... maybe iframes, but not often. I might some day though.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back