Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

frame relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yanny

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2001
GB
Is cisco router the best for setting up a frame relay? I am currently looking at another router named IP-Express-XLT from engagecom. WOuld that work?
thx!

Your question is rather vague grasshopper, but you must remember you are in a Cisco chat window. Do not labor yourself with such matters if you are not in a large frame relay environment. Your Cisco router is more than you will need.

Obewan

Obewan is quite correct in that your post if "rather vague." Specifically answering your question, the best answer is "it depends." The reason I say this is because before anyone can begin to answer your question you must, at a minimum, answer these questions: What are the budgetary constraints? What are your business goals? How large is your environment? How much traffic will cross the WAN? What type of traffic is it (data, voice, video, etc.)? Do you really need a Frame Relay circuit? Who is the manufacture of the equipment it will connect to (need to know this for correct LMI type)? Will you need sub-interfaces? How many DLCI's are going to be used? Will you need to perform traffic shaping (rate enforcement, FECN/BECN support, priority and/or custom queing per virtual circuit)? Do you or your co-workers have the experience to troubleshoot a Frame Relay circuit? etc. Secondly, if you answer yes to a majority of these questions, ask yourself is the device under consideration cabaple of performing these tasks? In my opinion, go with Cisco. With all the Dot Com faillures Cisco equipment is very cheap on the secondary market, and if needed, tech support is always available via documentation on CCO. Hope this helps.

Steve Tate
MCSE, MCT, NNCSS, CCNP, CCDP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back