Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frame Relay - Green, Amber and Red frames.. Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

decodex

IS-IT--Management
Jun 17, 2001
US
HI I have this problem. I know how to figure this out for 1sec interval. But how would I go about 2 sec. interval. This is the problem :
A have a PVC with Access rate of 256Kbits/sec
CIR=32Kbits/sec
Bc=64Kbits
Be=64Kbits
Graceful discard =OFF

I have five frames within the 2 sec interval:
32 kbits
20 kbits
20 kbits
20 kbits
30 kbits

How many frames will be discarded ?
How many will be marked "Amber" ?
How many wil be marked "Green" ?

I am confused since I've never learned the 2 sec interval. Usally the CIR = Bc, in this case its different. How do I go about this problem.
Thank You in advance.
Peter

i do not no Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

I'm not sure either but I will take a stab at it. The equation for frame is:

CIR=Bc/Tc where Tc is the time in seconds defined by your provider. So, applying this formula will yield

CIR=64kbits/2secs
CIR=32kbits/sec

The provider is saying they will allow you 64kbits of thruput in 2 seconds meaning 32kbits every second.

I've never dealt with a frame provider but I'm assuming a green frame is one that has guaranteed delivery,an amber frame is a "best effort" delivery, and a red frame is discard.

So I would guess your frames would be:

32kbits---green
20kbits---amber
20kbits---red
20kbits---red
30kbits---red

If anybody knows for sure, please post because I would like to know if I'm even in the right ballpark or just making incoherent jibberish. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back