Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frame Relay Basic Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheel

Technical User
Mar 9, 2001
Currently we have T1 at headend & 7 remote sites. They all sliced to 344/128/128/128/56/56/56 = 936 bandwidth & also voice over. My company decided to increase bandwidth to each branch.

We have two different companines offering various bandwidth.
Company A = T2 at headend & slicing T2 various speeds at branches.
Company B = T1 at headend & T1's for all the branches.
My question is IS THIS POSSIBLE what Company B saying???? I though we need T7 to setup ratio like that... Can some explain how this possible...

Thank you in advance..

That's a yes and no answer, it can be done. It's just that you'll end up with a bottle neck at the headend. If you're looking into increasing bandwidth, Before purchasing more frame, find out what is the utilization on each of the remote routers and are they dropping any frames. That should give you an idea as to what you'll need, plus add on for furture projects. Once you know what you need, then I would also look at other technologies for better solutions. For examples, we migrated off of 56K frame from Halifax, to 10 Mb LAN Extention for a cheaper price the upgrading the Frame to and the CIR. Just a thought

FYI, "T2" services are NOT available anywhere, and the next step up is T3 (roughly 45Mbps, or 30xT1)... and there's no such thing as a "T7".

Is the "voice over" you refer to VoIP, or voice channels on DS0s?

------------------------
Darin Hamilton
International Telecom SE
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

when you say T2...do you mean 2 t1s? like an IMA ckt? do you mean a MLFR? there is no "t2".
ANYWAYS...yeah the company B can give you what the promised, but imagine all the 7 sites try to xmit at the same time. your gonna have huge delay and dropped packet problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back