Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frame help needed, page location

Status
Not open for further replies.

edog1

Programmer
Oct 9, 2002
US
I have a frameset page that I need "refreshed" from a servlet. I basically want to post the entire page to the browser window it came from. I'm stuck as to how to direct the pages to go to their corresponding frames. I've tried messing around with some javascript and the base tag but no dice. Anyone with have any ideas? I understand only one request is sent so you can imagine what is happing, it's frame maddness. I've posted my frameset code below thanks!

Ed

Code:
<html>

<head>
<title>My Frameset</title>
</head>

<frameset rows=&quot;55,*&quot;>
  <frame noresize frameborder=&quot;no&quot; name=&quot;routeHeader&quot; scrolling=&quot;no&quot; noresize target=&quot;contents&quot; src=&quot;pick_routingHdr.jsp&quot;>
  <frameset cols=&quot;540,*&quot;>
    <frame noresize frameborder=&quot;no&quot; name=&quot;route&quot; scrolling=&quot;no&quot; target=&quot;main&quot; src=&quot;pick_runInfo.jsp&quot;>

<frameset rows=&quot;70,*,25&quot;>
      <frame noresize frameborder=&quot;no&quot; name=&quot;trafficHeader&quot; scrolling=&quot;no&quot; src=&quot;pick_trafficHdr.jsp?hdr=no&quot;>
      <frameset cols=&quot;*,4%&quot;>
      <frame noresize frameborder=&quot;no&quot; name=&quot;traffic&quot; scrolling=&quot;yes&quot; src=&quot;pick_trafficInfo.jsp?hdr=no&quot;>
        <frame noresize frameborder=&quot;no&quot; name=&quot;trafficMainRight&quot; scrolling=&quot;no&quot; src=&quot;blank.jsp&quot;>
      </frameset>
      <frame noresize frameborder=&quot;no&quot; name=&quot;trafficFooter&quot; scrolling=&quot;no&quot; src=&quot;pick_trafficFooter.jsp?hdr=no&quot;>
    </frameset>
  </frameset>
</frameset>

</html>

can u be a bit more clear?

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

in a nutshell I need to refresh all of the frames when any action is performed in one of the other frames. if I simply let the servlet forward the frame page back to itself the frame which the action was originated gets the entire frameset. is there anything I can put in the response to reload the entire window, probably not, I was thinking something like this js but it didn't seem to work

Code:
<script language=&quot;javascript&quot;>
            function updateEm()
            {
                top.routeHeader.location=&quot;pick_routingHdr.jsp&quot;;
                top.route.location=&quot;pick_runInfo.jsp&quot;
                top.trafficHeader.location=&quot;pick_trafficHdr.jsp?hdr=no&quot;
                top.traffic.location=&quot;pick_trafficInfo.jsp?hdr=no&quot;
                top.trafficMainRight.location=&quot;blank.jsp&quot;
                top.trafficFooter.location=&quot;pick_trafficFooter.jsp?hdr=no&quot;
            }
        </script>

figured it out, all of my pages in my frameset have to have base tags with the target of _top

and any javascript that changes the location has to be top.location, not window.location or document.location

and also if u want to change specific frames:
parent.FrameName.location.href=&quot;&quot;

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back