Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fractional T1 vs "Normal" T1 Pinout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spose

MIS
Jan 20, 2003
US
Is there anything different between the pinout for a fractional T1 vs a regular T1?

A fractional T1 has been installed at my office and I get to run the cable to the switch and wire up the office. Until now, we have been using coax. I'm comfortable with regular ethernet stuff but not too sure about the T1.

From what I have a found, a T1 uses 1&2 for Rx and 4&5 for Tx. Is that the same pinout as a fractional T1?

Thanks

There is no differance in the pinout. A fractional T-1 is an regular T-1 that does not have all the channels activated. Chuck Berg
Performance Telecom

chuck@performancetele.com During Hours
me@chucks-web.com After hours

Great! Thanks for the quick help. Off to get my tools.

Chuck's right as long at they're terminating it as a normal T1. We run Frame Relay over T1's and Fractional T1's and they're all pinned at T1's. There is something however called Frame Relay pinning that's different. I'm not sure when that's used. You might want to check with your provider. Here's some info:
Jeff
If your mind is too open your brains will fall out...

The difference is in the protocol. Frame relay circuits I have worked with are usually 56K. The pinouts are 1,2 for receive data and 7,8 for transmit data. For a T1, receive is 1,2 but transmit is 4,5.

Hope that helps.

Karl Gray

You can get a Frame Relay T1, and its the same pinout as a Point to Point T1. We had many of our customers on a Frame T1, and it was no different than a normal T1. Degg
Network Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back