Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FR subinterface + CAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcasta

Technical User
Aug 8, 2002
CA
Has anyone applied Committed Access Rate on Frame Relay subinteraces?

After receiving a 128kbps circtuit, a second PVC was configured temporarily. Nevertheless, I'm looking for this second pvc not to take up the whole 128kbps and instead rate limit it up to 64kbps both input and outputwise.

Any ideas or thoughts before configuring as shown below?

interface Serial1/0
no ip address
encapsulation frame-relay
no ip mroute-cache
frame-relay lmi-type ansi
!
interface Serial1/0.1 point-to-point
ip address a.b.c.d 255.255.255.252
rate-limit input 64000 1500 2000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop
frame-relay interface-dlci 100

interface Serial1/0.2 point-to-point
ip address a.b.c.d 255.255.255.252
rate-limit input 64000 1500 2000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop
frame-relay interface-dlci 200

thank you all!

those rate limits should indeed work, however, anything "going over" that interface is likely to see random "issues". when it drops, it provides no nontification to the end station - it just drops it in the bit bucket.

Is there then another way to work around this issue? I don't think it will be sound having not notified stations when drop occurs.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

well, if your version of IOS supports generic traffic shaping, you could just shape it to the lower bandwidth. in effect "spoofing" the router into thinking that pipe is much smaller than it really is. need help with syntax for GTS?

GTS works by slowing down end station traffic smoothly and gradually, doesn't it? And yes, help with syntax will be appreciated.

Thank you,

okey doke. i'll have a syntax example here a little later today. (0530 local - need a bit to "get up to speed :)

oops. got swamped at work. sorry. sending an email to my work addy now so i won't forget again :/

That's ok. I'll keep track on your future posting.

cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back