Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FPW26 to Visual Basic??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonypcg

Programmer
Oct 31, 2000
US
I have an app which has been in production for 4-5 years, but it is still be added to daily(can eventually double). It currently is 50 forms, 100 reports, 50 tables (largest 55000 rows) . Everything runs great and love coding in fpw26...but I'm concerned about the future of it running 5-10 years from now on new OP Systems. Don't know VFP, SQLServer or Visual basic. Should I keep going with FPW26 or ??????? Open for ideas.

5-10 years from now
1. VFP might not exist.
2. MicroSoft could be a think of the past.
3. We could all be speaking German
4. OOP was been replaced with POP.
After all, 10 years ago who would have exprcted a 1.5ghz processor in a computer or a home computer that needs over 64mb of memory to run.

In short no one can answer that question for you but you.

So the database doubles in size - so what - VFP has the same size limit as FPW.
If you rewrite it just for that, You have waisted a lot of time for nothing.

If the size of the data base is expected to exceed the limits of FoxPro, then convert the databases to MS-SQL and recode to VFP with a ODBC connection to SQL.

If the application is expected to be Web based on the future then recode to VFP.

If you want to make it look modern, then recode

If you want other applications, to access the data by API or ODBC, then recode.

Or you could always just convert the databases and printed reportsd to VFP and run the FPW code in VFP.

If none of the above apply and noone else can think of a better reason.
LET IT ALONE.

Hope this helps you. David W. Grewe
Dave@internationalbid.com
ICQ VFP ActiveList #46145644

Thank you, that did help a great deal. There was really too much involved to change over at this point. My best option does sound like running Fpw2.6 code inside of VFP. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back