Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FPW 2.6a and 3.0 ghz 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfs2001

Programmer
Aug 22, 2001
US
I read about a possible 3.0 Ghz problem. I am looking to buy a new computer running at 3.0 ghz and would like to know about this possible speed problem. I still do a lot of work in fpw 2.6a and do not want to upgrade to a computer that can not run fpw 2.6a. Thank you for your help

Ed

Ed,
It's not a "documented" problem, just one that some people have reported on some of the faster machines. It's never been clear (at least to me in the postings) if it's a CPU speed, internal bus speed or even an IO speed problem. I'd see if you can try one of your apps on the machine before you purchase it (or at least make sure it won't cost much to return it if things don't work!).

Rick

Vinczej,
DZPATCH fixes the original "Divide by Zero" problem when we started going over ~300mHz, but this "over 3.0gHz" problem is apparently queit different. Because I haven't experienced it firsthand, I can't provide any more details.

Rick

Pardon. I looked around the threads, and now I see,
that it's a new problem, really. I have a Intel 2.8 Ghz CPU,
and there isn't problem. I haven't experience beyond the 3 Ghz.

Hi Ed,

We just upgraded from Gateway PIII 500mhz W2K machines to Gateway E4100 P4 3GHz machines with WinXP Pro and encountered no problems.

We had originally used DZPatch to get things going for FPW 2.6 for our clients when the 300mhz cpus first came out. Most of our clients are also now running 2-3ghz workstations.

We just moved the FPW sub-dir over and started coding.

John

HI ED

i am using Intel 3.0 Ghz, theres no problem in my program.
make directory in drive C theres several file like (.Fll,.Esl,.fpw), copy it to this directory.
in Autoexec.bat input this line,
set foxprowcfg=c:\fpw\config.fpw
path=c:\fpw

config.fpw, input this line

catman=off
RESOURCE=OFF
RESOURCE=C:\FPW
PROGWORK=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\
SORTWORK=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\
TMPFILES=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\

i hope this will help u

Thanks