Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FPW 2.6 &Win 2000 Upgrade 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

URSTraining

Instructor
Jun 21, 2001
US
I've seen several threads related to this issue but haven't found one yet that gets to the heart of my problem.

My company produces a FPW 2.6 App that is used by a large number of clients. Unfortunately, as many have already seen, there is difficulty in launching the app on a machine upgraded to Win 2000. None of the users, to my knowledge, have experienced a problem with a fresh install of Win2000. I've done a lot of testing, trying both the conversion to NTFS and not converting, neither with any success. Our feeling was that Win 2000 had difficulty in launching wow.exe, which prevented the FPW app from doing anything other than flashing quickly and then disappearing. I've been putting off users for quite some time, advising them to only go to Win 2000 if they are doing a fresh install...not exactly a great answer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. What can I try? I'm sure it can be done...what step am I missing.

1. Apply the dzpatch if not done already in the existing platform.
2. I suggest you take a copy the FPW 2.6 directory as it is from the earlier OS say WIN98. Just copy the entire folder in Win2000.

3. If you are burning a CD for copying purposes, make sure you are dragging the directory FPW2.6 as a whole without omitting sub directories. Also after copying, ensure that the file attributes are not left at +r. (read only)

This probably could solve your problem.

ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G)
FoxAcc
ramani_g@yahoo.com
LET KNOW IF THIS HELPED. ENOUGH EXPERTS ARE HERE TO HELP YOU OUT! BEST OF LUCK :)

Thanks...when you sayu the FPW directory, are you referring to actual FoxPro 2.6 or the directory for the application? I assume you are referring to the application we create. Our users are very unlikely to have Fox Pro 2.6...

URS,
This phenomena was noted by many early adopters of W2K and as far as I know, no one ever came up with a good solution. I think your "only on new installs of W2K" was as good as it got. (Just too many variables in an upgraded system.)

Sorry for not being able to give an easy fix this time.

Rick

If you are experiencing problem with FoxPro 2.6, what I suggested could help. But for applications, you dont need anything more than the *.ESL and *.ESO files. They are always copied and I have no answer if that is giving you the trouble.

But as I said, do the patching and then do the compilation. Probably the error will go. Also make sure the FoxUser files are not copied and let FoxPro create a new set of FoxUser files by default.

My imagination is drying out.... :) ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G)
FoxAcc
ramani_g@yahoo.com
LET KNOW IF THIS HELPED. ENOUGH EXPERTS ARE HERE TO HELP YOU OUT! BEST OF LUCK :)

Well, none of the patches or workarounds sugguested seem to solve this problem. Interestingly enough, if you have a VB application or Dr. Watson loaded, when you start foxprow.exe it flash once and take those applications out with it.

I have "heard" that if you wipe out win2k and reinstall, it will solve the problem, but I would hate to have to do that.

sj

Oh, I know reinstalling Win 2000 will work as I have done it. Fresh installs, factoru or otherwise, have never been the problem, only upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back