Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FPW 2.5b Runs as App but not EXE on XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

bborel

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
US
I just applied the IPatchFP patch to some older FoxPro 2.5b for Windows programs in order to get past the divide by zero error on XP Pro. I also patched the actual FoxPro software itself. FoxPro runs under XP now and if I open the project file for a program and run it as an app it works fine, the problem is when I try and run the EXE file or open it, it bombs out. I get no error message, nothing, just an hour glass and FoxPro opens for a second then closes out with no error messages, any help MUCH appreciated as we have like 20 programs that have to work under XP until we can rewrite them all with Visual FoxPro, thanks.

You need to patch Foxprow.exe, as well as any copies of the FOX?????.ESL file that may be on your system.
If you've distributed any .EXE's with the unpatched version of Foxprow, the .ESL distributed those will also need to be patched.

-Dave S.-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

I patched Foxprow.exe first and and the ESL files first, I then copied the ESL files into the program directory, opened the project, rebuild project, and then recompiled. In the root of C:\ there is a directory called Foxfiles with the ESL files in there as well, which were replaced with the patched onces, do I possible have to many ESL files bouncing around? Thanks.

If you're absolutely sure you have patched every single .esl file, you probably have other issues.
Maybe paths or file locations which are different at run time than in the developement environment.

-Dave S.-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

It's weird and frustrating, the EXE will run on a 98SE machine, but not XP for some reason. I'm going to go line by line in all the code and see if anything pops out at me. After that I think I will go through the entire process again and see if I missed something, thanks.

Kust a suggestion, start by building just a small "Hello world!" app and exe, just to verify the patches are actually working. Eliminate that possibility first. Then move on to the larger things.

-Dave S.-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Great hint, the "Hello world!" ran as an app but not exe, so I re-applied the patch to a new install. The next thing I wanted to try was to build an EXE with EXTENDED to include everything in just the EXE and not worry about trying to track down the different links all these different programs have to libraries. For some reason I get a "Feature not available", ugh. I'd like to wrap this up in the worst way..

That's actually a misnomer. You were never able to build an 'Extended' or a standalone exe. The libraries have to be included with the .exe.
And the exe must be built from the project manager. You can't issue the BUILD EXE command from the command window.

-Dave S.-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Dave,
Actually the Help file shows the syntax:
BUILD EXE <exe file> FROM <project>
[STANDALONE]
[EXTENDED]

However the last two options are strictly for FP DOS not FP Windows. (The help file doesn't say this, but there are a number of topics where they &quot;forget&quot; to segregate which optional clauses work in which version! <s>)

Rick

I think it might be as simple as NTFS on the XP machine. I re-compiled everything again and created a network setup with VFP6.0, then installed the program on an XP machine. It worked perfectly after I copied my patched ESL to the machine, the funny thing was that even the programs I didn't re-compile magically started worked, the difference is that this machine wasn't converted to NTSF during the upgrade. I have to try this on another machine that is NTFS to see if that is actually the case. Does this seem right, was I missing this the whole time?
I very much appreciate all your inputs, it steered me right in the direction that I think finally has resolved this issue for me, now I can actually start learning how to re-write all these apps. Thanks all.

Well, NTFS has nothing to do with why the program wasn't working on the XP system we initially trying this on, but all the programs are working fine for the people that need them, thanks again and I think whoever moderates this can close it out.

There are no moderators here! I've seen threads started up again after 2+ years!

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back