Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

foxpro2.6 samples

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbahri

IS-IT--Management
Dec 1, 2002
Dear all,
Does anybody know where can I get foxpro2.6 samples for multi user environment...?

thanks
iful

May i ask, is this the first time you will
learn foxpro for multi-users?

What areas are you concerned about? The sample code provided with FPD/FPW 2.6a is basically all multi-user capable. Multi-user concerns are rarely difficult to code around, but alot depends on the type of application, the number (and type) of users, and the how much data you are handling.

Rick

From your previous question thread182-418159 where you are looking for the FPD 2.6 development environment, I must assume that this is all new to you.

First, get yourself a legal copy of Foxpro (see your other posting for a possible source or eBay). I'd suggest not bothering with the DOS version unless it was absolutely necessary for your users.

While it would be best to go right into VFP rather than spending time learning an obsolete version, your work environment or user base might require you to make another choice.

Spend time learning and working with the language before worrying specifically about multi-user issues. Besides many (if not most) of the multi-user issues are automatically handled by Foxpro itself without your having to put in extra coding. The ones within your specific application that are not handled, will become apparent over time and by then you will most likely have learned how to handle them.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services
CIOServices@yahoo.com

>eater777 (Programmer) Dec 2, 2002
>May i ask, is this the first time you will
>learn foxpro for multi-users?

I'm not new in foxpro, I wanna install it into DosEmulator under linux operating system.
I've tried installed foxpro2.6 samples for single user running under linux environment, and it's works.

>rgbean (Programmer) Dec 2, 2002
>What areas are you concerned about? The sample code >provided with FPD/FPW 2.6a is basically all multi-user >capable. Multi-user concerns are rarely difficult to code >around, but alot depends on the type of application, the >number (and type) of users, and the how much data you are >handling.

>Rick

Foxpro for Dos running under DosEmulator in linux Operating System

>jrbbldr (Programmer) Dec 2, 2002
>From your previous question Thread182-418159 where you >are looking for the FPD 2.6 development environment, I >must assume that this is all new to you.

>First, get yourself a legal copy of Foxpro (see your other >posting for a possible source or eBay). I'd suggest not >bothering with the DOS version unless it was absolutely >necessary for your users.

>While it would be best to go right into VFP rather than >spending time learning an obsolete version, your work >environment or user base might require you to make another >choice.

>Spend time learning and working with the language before >worrying specifically about multi-user issues. Besides >many (if not most) of the multi-user issues are >automatically handled by Foxpro itself without your having >to put in extra coding. The ones within your specific >application that are not handled, will become apparent >over time and by then you will most likely have learned >how to handle them.

>Good Luck,

>JRB-Bldr
>VisionQuest Consulting
>Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services
>CIOServices@yahoo.com

thanks for your suggestion

I'm sorry, but "Foxpro for Dos running under DosEmulator in linux Operating System" doesn't answer the implied questions in "... a lot depends on the type of application, the number (and type) of users, and the how much data you are handling." What more can you tell us?

Rick

SBAHRI:

ESTO DEPENDE DE EN QUE SERVIDOR QUIERES CORRER TU APLICACION, SI ES EN NOVELL (QUE ES EL ENTORNO DE RED MAS IDONEO PARA UNA APLICACION EN FOXPRO DOS 2.6 ), SOLO COPIA TU EJECUTABLE Y DBF´S EN UNA UNIDAD LOGICA DEL SERVIDOR.

EN EL CODIGO DE TUS PROGRAMAS DEFINE

SET EXCLUSIVE OFF
*PARA QUE TUS TABLAS SEAN COMPARTIDAS

Y APLICA BIEN EL :
RLOCK() Y EL UNLOCK()
* PARA BLOQUEAR Y DESBLOQUEAR TUS REGISTROS CUANDO UN USUARIO LOS ESTE VIENDO, Y PUEDA O NO MODIFICARLOS.

FINALMENTE CONSIDERA BIEN EL MANEJO DE LOS ARCHIVOS ABIERTOS A NIVEL DE LOS TERMINALES ATACHADOS AL SERVIDOR.
INDICANDO EN EL CONFIG.SYS LA LINEA :

FILES=100

PARA EVITAR EL MENSAJE DE : "TOO MANY FILES ARE OPEN"

BUENA SUERTE, BYE

GONDI

>eater777 (Programmer) Dec 2, 2002
>May i ask, is this the first time you will
>learn foxpro for multi-users?

I'm not new in foxpro, I wanna install it into DosEmulator under linux operating system.
I've tried installed foxpro2.6 samples for single user running under linux environment, and it's works.

Actually foxpro2.6 is almost a multi-user environment,
you just have to increase the file handle, and know
how and when to lock and unlock a file...
good luck....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back