Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Foxpro Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

JICGreg

Technical User
Mar 14, 2007
I have done something but I do not know what and hopefully someone can help me. When I start foxpro the only thing that opens is my command window. No "regular" window (that includes the file/edit/view) menue and no task pane manager.

How can I get these back.

Thanks for any input
Greg

try typing
set sysmenu on <enter>
from the command line,
or put it in a prg file and
run this on startup from your shortcut

Thanks for the response. I was able to type set sysmenu on in the command line, but nothing happened -- even after restarting foxpro.

Greg,

It sounds like you've got some code in a startup program somewhere that disables the various windows.

You can try the following:

1. Search for all instances of FOXUSER.DBF and FOXUSER.FPT. Delete all such files that you find.

2. Look for a file named CONFIG.FPW. Delete it.

(Do the above two items before you launch VFP.)

3. In the Command Window, type MESSAGEBOX(_STARTUP). If that displays the name of a file, quit VFP and then delete that file.

4. If all else fails, re-install VFP.

Mike

Visual FoxPro tips, advice, training, consultancy
Custom software for your business

Try typing:

_screen.Visible = .T.
_screen.Left = 0
_screen.Top = 0

Cetin Basoz
MS Foxpro MVP, MCP

First, thank you all for your suggestions. Unfortunately, none of them worked. So, I decided to simply unintall and then re-install the program.

To my surprise, after the re-installation, the exact same problem kept occurring. I did not reboot my machine after uninstalling.

Any other ideas? Thanks

Greg,

This sound strange. Let's see if we can pin it down.

When you say there is " No "regular" window (that includes the file/edit/view) menue and no task pane manager. ", do you mean that the only thing you can see is the Command Window, floating on top of the Windows desktop (or other Windows application), with no other Visual FoxPro components visible?

Or, can you see the main VFP window, but without the menu bar or toolbars along the top? If that's the case, what precisely can you see in the outer window, apart from the command window?

Also, did this suddenly start to happen, even after you had been using VFP for a while? If so, can you remember anything unusual you might have done at that time?

Mike

Mike:

It is your first description, the command box floating on top of my windows desktop with nothing else visible. If I type in modify project <<projectname>>, I believe the command executes, just because it takes a little while for the cursor to come back -- although I cannot see anything.

Foxpro has been on this machine for years and regularly used. So yes, this has just started to happen but I cannot recall what I did to trigger it -- or anything unusual that would have triggered it.

Greg

Greg,

One posible explanation is that the command window has become "dockable" and that, at the same time, the main window has floated off the physical screen.

Can you try this:

- Right-click on the title bar of the command window. Can you see a little menu, containing Dockable and Hide? If so, does Dockable have a tick against it.?

- If so, try typing:

_screen.WindowState = 2

and perhaps also:

-screen.Show

Does that do anything? Perhaps you could report back. Meantime, I'll see if I can think of anything else.

Mike

Greg,

Come to think of it, my previous post probably won't help. If I'm right about the "dockable" thing, it wouldn't explain how it survived a re-install.

But worth a try anyway.

Mike

Mike:

I have to leave for a business trip, but I will vpn and try your suggestions. I will get to this as quickly as possible.

Thanks for your help.

Greg

Mike:

That was it!
_screen.WindowState = 2 restored everything.

Once again, thank you very much for your assistance and persistence with this issue.

Greg

Greg

I've only recently had this very same problem, since I changed to using dual screens. I don't know whether it's possible to get the problem with other applications, but just in case, there is a windows solution as well which doesn't rely on using a Foxpro command. If you select the taskbar tab for the application, then right-click it and select 'move', then hit any arrow key, the window comes back. (You might need to use ALT+SPACEBAR instead of right-clicking 'move' if it's disabled).

One to keep in reserve just in case perhaps?

Regards, Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back