Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FoxPro Schema

Status
Not open for further replies.

madcat8

MIS
Oct 22, 2002
US
I have an older DOS Foxpro for which I need to generate a schema listing. Is there a command in Foxpro that will do this?

thanks
mmd

Schema?

Do you mean data dictionary? Program tree structure?
Do you have the source? Project file?

FoxDoc may be able to help you.
Type FOXDOC in the command window.

Dave S.

The WhatIs.com IT glossary defines "schema" as:

1) In computer programming, a schema (pronounced SKEE-mah) is the organization or structure for a database.

If that is what you need then use something like:

USE <tablename>
DISPLAY STRUCTURE
or
DISPLAY STRUCTURE TO PRINTER

That will give you the Fieldname, FieldType,& Fieldsize, etc.

There are automated ways to get this information for a variety of tables, but it takes some programming (not just one command line)

If you want something else, like Dave suggests above, let us know so that we can better help you out.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services
CIOServices@yahoo.com

Thanks, guys. The 'Display Structure' is what I was looking for.

To answer the first query, no, I don't have source. Since we are planning to convert this system, I didn't see it as a priority. We can ask for it, if need be. Right now, we have the compiled code and multiple tables/indices.

One other question: what is the 'Collate' column on the structure listing supposed to indicate?

thanks again,
mmd

Collate indicates the ordering this field is sorted on if it's an index. The following is from the FP 2.6 help file.

The following collating sequences are available.

Options Language
Code:
DUTCH     Dutch 
GENERAL   English, French, German, Modern Spanish, Portuguese and other Western European languages 
ICELAND   Icelandic
MACHINE   Machine (the default collation sequence for earlier FoxPro versions)
NORDAN    Norwegian, Danish
SPANISH   Traditional Spanish
SWEFIN    Swedish, Finnish
Note When you specify the SPANISH option, &quot;ch&quot; is a single letter that sorts between &quot;c&quot; and &quot;d&quot;, and &quot;ll&quot; sorts between &quot;l&quot; and &quot;m&quot;.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back