Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FoxPro or SQL 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToddWW

Programmer
Mar 25, 2001
US
I've been working with FoxPro ever since the release of 3.0 VFP. As a matter of fact, that's the current version that I am using on many of my applications. I absolutely love this software and I am very familiar with the programming code, database design, etc..

Now I've built a fairly large FoxPro database that is being used with an ASP web server. I know that the database design is horrible and yes, I am having problems with the web server locking up. I have been told that the problem is with FoxPro and that I need to use SQL Server. I'm not convinced that the problem can't be fixed with a newer version of FoxPro and some better database design.

I realize that I can use FoxPro as the front end and SQL Server as the database container, but I would really like to stay with FoxPro all the way around. Can't afford to try it and be unsuccessful.

Anyone out there have good success with FoxPro and ASP web servers. I would really like to stay with FoxPro when we re-design our data model.

Thanks for the input.

ToddWW

Hi Todd,

My advice would be to look for the reasons that the web server is locking up ... then concentrate on fixing them.

In my experience, hosting a Foxpro database on a web server is perfectly feasible. You might or might not get better results with SQL Server, but you will inevitably run into a whole batch of new problems. This is not a criticism of SQL Server; it is inevitable when you switch platforms and face a new learning curve.

If you are comfortable with VFP (and I know you are), stay with it.
Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back