Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Foxpro Limitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie21

Programmer
Feb 7, 2000
US
Hi all I'm new to FoxPro and were looking at doing a project in VF 5.0 that would support around 5000 users. <br>
<br>
1) Will VF database support this many users concurently?<br>
2) Is there any other concerns I need to be aware of?<br>
<br>
Thanks in advance

One thing I've discovered is you have to be careful HOW you write your program- If you're not, you can easily duplicate information, say for instance if you just scan the table for the last number on a filed that concurrently numbers items. If you simply have it scan the table, then you may come up with three of the same # if three users are on simultaneously... that's where variables come in. If you like, I'll let you know more when I find out more- I'm currently having a little tussle with a problem along these lines. Take care!<br>
-Duffy<br>
(<A HREF="mailto:chocklit@intrstar.net">chocklit@intrstar.net</A>)

DuffyW is right..while you would always write your program a certain way for any kind of shared access, with 5000 users the problems may be magnified. For example, if you had a Browse window directly into a table, and a user starts editing a record, but then gets up and goes to lunch, that table or its header may be locked for a while.<br>
<br>
I'm a big fan of Fox since the Foxbase days, and I'm no Microsoft stockholder, but this may be one instance where you might consider storing the data in SQL Server. While improvements have been made, the DBF structure is not world famous for reliability, and security of the raw data is non-existent.<br>
------------<br>
Raza<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back