Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Foxpro Information server

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarkrj

Programmer
May 12, 2002
GB
I am trying to get FOXIS to work with foxisapi.dll as per the help file.

I can get it to work in the foxpro enviroment but in my webpage it gives error 404.

The command line I have been using is

This is a totally new subject to me so if anyone has any idea please help.

Instead of putting FoxIsapi.dll in your /test/ directory, put it in your /cgi-bin/ directory.

Or, change the rights in the /test/ directory to include "execute"

What web server are you using?

This is where I get a bit vague, I am using a hosting service & I believe the web server is running linux.

I have changed the properties to read & execute on that directory -- still doesn't work

Rich

The web server must be a Windows machine, and must support ISAPI ... Internet Services API (I believe).... a Linux box CANNOT do this.

(Ok, there MAY be a way to get it to work through WINE, but I don't know where to even start with that... you'd probably have to run a Win32 Web server on WINE on the Linux box to get ISAPI to work)

Test on your own machine first: Sambar Server ( ) is a free-for-personal use web server that supports ISAPI; MS IIS also does (comes with Win2k Pro/Win2k Server). Then you can be sure it'll all work when you find an web services provider that supports ISAPI.

This gets more "interesting" the more I look at it, good job this is for myself not a paying customer.

I intend to do my own web hosting from end of August so that these sort of issues can be sorted out.

Thanks for all the help, you have really pointed me in the right direction. hopefully I won't have so many daft questions next time. The last post was very instructive as I had intended using a linux server for web hosting but I wanted to use FoxPro to drive the searches. I suspect any emulator would destroy the performance.

That's an interesting issue:

WINE = "W"ine "I"s "N"ot an "E"mulator ...

Since Linux runs on Intel, and Windows runs on Intel, there's not processor emulation required. WINE is a set of open source libraries that mimic the Win32API, so that a program (VFP) can run, thinking it's on windows, but calling the WINE .DLL APIs instead of the real Windows .DLL's....

The only effect on performance should be the difference in quality/implementation of the API calls. And considering the Open Source movement's followers view of Microsoft, I'd expect they'd try hard to equal, if not surpass, the speed of MS code.

(Personally, while I might play with this idea and argue it just to elucidate the situation, I'd find it much simpler and reliable to just use a Windows box to be the web host....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back