Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FoxPro For Windows 2.6a Hangs With 100% CPU Usage. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tung

Programmer
Aug 7, 2000
GB
I have been looking at a problem where an application written in FoxPro For Windows 2.6a hangs with the CPU Usage climbing to 100% and stays there until you kill the process.<br><br>It doesn't matter what spec. PC I am using nor does it matter whether the OS is Windows9x, WinNT4 or Windows2000.<br><br>The task I am doing involves opening windows to display data from data tables and some includes the showing of memo fields, the browsing of tables in windows and printing a report that includes memo fields.&nbsp;&nbsp;Perform this set of task several times will result with the hanging.<br><br>At the moment it appears that all the actions of the task must happen for the problem to occur.&nbsp;&nbsp;I eliminated data size, memory, system resource, FoxPro configuration and settings as a cause.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have tried many things and have now ran out of ideas.<br><br>Has anyone came across this type of problem?

I've had this problem many times.&nbsp;&nbsp;It *always* involves printing.&nbsp;&nbsp;I do not have a solution, but interested in this thread.

Whatever file runs the app it might be worth putting the following line in the notepad file:

MEMLIMIT=20,4096,16384

i.e. foxpro can use 20% of available memory, not less than 4096kb and not more than 16384kb. This then freed up the ram and CPU usage.

Good luck. [sig][/sig]

I also have been having the same problems with Windows 2000. I have tried the fix to the config file but with no change in results.

Check the Config.nt file in the windows directory David W. Grewe
Dave@internationalbid.com
ICQ VFP ActiveList #46145644

I had a similar problem with a FPW2.6 and it all pointed to &quot;set filter&quot;. When I started to eliminate Set Filter statements the problem disappeared in that area of code. Look a few weeks back for TONYPCG &quot;FPW2 HANGS&quot;, maybe that can help.

I have a similar problem and I posted it. Did you ever get your problem solved? I would greatly appreciate your feedback. My posting was called foxw2600.esl infinite loop.

Thank you
Andrea

I also have had this type of problem in printing an invoice. I'm not sure but it seemed as though it might be some sort of index type problem as I was able to scatter memvar and re-insert the record from memvar then delete the original and the silly thing would then work. I gave up on solving the problem but put this code in the beginning of my app to recover and it seems to be working OK even though it's a pain for the operator to actually have to end task then restart the app. The reason I am thinking an index problem is because usually if I waiting until we had fully re-indexed (by dropping then re-adding) it would usually clear up.

Randy

I had a similar problem : all reports printed/diplayed OK except one which hung upon preview or print, but only when using the distributed exe. Developement version worked fine.
It was a fairly complex report which called multiple functions each line so probably made heavy use of the CPU.
I replaced a SET FILTER command for a large file with a SQL SELECT..WHERE.. and it now works fine.

Plase, send program foxpro 2.6a, full.
is compiled program is not full my software.
leeandres2@tutopia.com, have 10MB.
please send file this program foxpro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back