Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Foxpro For Windows 2.5b Divide by Zero error 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webrookie

Programmer
May 18, 2000
US
Ok, I have an old system written by programmers before my time in Foxpro for Windows 2.5b. I'm re setting up the system in Visual Foxpro 6 SP4. My problem is that I'm running a pIII-600 and Fox2.5 won't open....Actually, it opened twice last week. I just sit here hitting enter on it until it does open, otherwise I get that Divide by Zero error. I actually wrote a program in VB which makes a series of API calls and sends the Enter Key to the input stream for me. :). But to no avail.

The only patch I can find is for Foxpro for Windows 2.6, which won't work on 2.5b to my knowledge.

Can anyone help me here?

While there is no MS sanctioned fix for FPW 2.5, if you
do a web search for DZPATCH, you'll get some sites that offer this program that will fix your runtimes.

Rick

We use Foxpro 2.6 and 2.6a for windows. We found that the dived by 0 error occurred in foxpro 2.6 and used a program called slowstart to get around this. It slows doen the processor and stops the message being displayed. If you e-mail me on markdavies@warwickshire.gov.uk I could send you the file.

Mark,
While in general I don't have a problem with anything that actually works, in this case since the people that wrote SlowStart recommend using the MS patch for FPW2.6a (and recognize the unsupported DZPATCH for all other versions), I'd hesitate recommending SlowStart for anyone else.

Rick

dzpatch.exe is the key for you. try to download it.. or search at . you must update the foxprow.exe and the swl extension. Sswl extension is the dk of foxpro, if you dont update the patch you will always have error on the output for exe.

Hello,

I am not a programmer but a botanist. I have written simple pseudocode and reports in dbase III up to foxpro 2.6 which is as far as I got. I have Foxpro 2.6 and just recently installed Windows 2000. I get a system error
message that states "divide by zero etc." I think foxpro 2.6 is incompatable with
Win2000. We will be switching to access within the year but until then we REALLY need
to be able to use the reports, pseudocode, etc. in foxpro 2.6. Is there anyway to make
Win 2000 accept Foxpro 2.6 and let it run? I can't even get the program to execute.

Thanks so much in advance.

mattie

crow@aloha.net

Rick,

Thanks very much. I've downloaded the upgraded to 2.6a and will have to wait until monday to try in on my work computer (no net support there yet). I'll bring files in on disc.

Thanks again,

mattie

Mattie,
I agree with Rick. It is the speed of the computer. It is not Win2000.

I have a Foxpro 2.6 app that runs fine on Win2000 (with the appropriate slow down patches).

Hello,

Yes it is the speed of the computer. I have an old 166 mHz computer that foxpro wors fine, but not on my 900 mHz computer. Microsoft Confirms this to be a problem as well. For reference, see

However my problem is that we are using foxpro 2.5 and the patch they mention in the above doesn't work for 2.5 (Thanks Microsoft!!) So I went to and found a program that slows down the processor, and now my Foxpro works!!

I found the program called CPU Killer, I only had to slow down my CPU by aprox. 10% to get foxpro to work...

Hope this helps!!

-- Mike

Following up on previous posts once Foxpro 2.6 is patch to 2.6a we no longer needed to use the slowstar prgram. I would now only use it as a lst resort.

Thanks for the note rgbean

Hi,
I have Win XP, Foxpro W 2.5.1 and the Zero-Divide-Problem.

Downloading IPatchFP.exe from Microsoft and following the instruction helped solve the problem. Now it's running. :))

-- twads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back