Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Foxpro 2.6 on Win NT 4 problem. (Fxp files)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
First of all please excuse my newbie-ness im quite new to foxpro but ill do my best to explain my problem fully.

I recently transferred a foxpro 2.6 database from a standalone win 3.11 workstation to a win nt 4 workstation.
I did this by installing FP 2.6 on to the nt machine then copying all the database files on to the new nt machine.

The database works mostly very well apart from one section. when i try to load this addresses section i get an error saying 'C:\...address.fxp is not an object file'. Also if i try to run the program by just doing a 'do' in foxpro i get a 'source is out of date' error message.

From what i have learnt it appears that foxpro generates a .fxp file when a program is complied. however looking back on the old 3.11 machine there is no trace of an address.fxp file.

If anyone understand this can they cast some light on my problem please?

You normally get the 'source is out of date' message when the .PRG and .FXP file don't match. I'd just delete the .FXP file and do COMPILE ADDRESS.PRG.

One other reason for this error is that the FoxPro "pathing" includes directories where there are more than one copy of the of the .PRG and / or .FXP. (Or the path doesn't include one or the other!)

Rick

Hi,

First, in the 3.11 machine, you should have an ADDRESS.PRG file.

Second, in this file there is a line of code that produces an error in the NT enviroment.

FP tries to show this line, but it can't. This is because the .fxp and .prg don't match (as Rick says) or because it can't find the .prg. If you say that you have copied all files from a machine to another... Well, you are in a trouble.

Try to find ADDRESS.PRG, recompile it to regenerate ADDRESS.FXP. Copy both to the NT machine and let us know what the error message says.

Good luck!

David.

In fact, if you have anywhere in program
do address,
may be it in procedure file, not standalone file.
Check in your program
set procedure to,
especially if have full path.

Ok, there is a problem here. There is no address.prg file, there is an address.spr file which when run makes this error occur.
There also, having just checked, is no address.fxp on the old 3.11 machine?? but there is one on the NT machine and as far as i know i didnt put it there so it must have been generated by something.

And, just so that you know it still works as it should on the 3.11 machine

OK, by default when you compile a .SPR file, FP while create a .SPX. So if the code reads DO address (or DO address.FPX), you'll need to change it to DO address.SPR (or DO address.SPX). Alternately, you can rename address.SPX to address.FXP.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back