Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FoxPro 2.6 for Windows does not start in Windows 2000 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Utpal

Programmer
Mar 28, 2002
IN
Hi everybody,
I have just installed Windows 2000 Professional. When I try to run FoxPro 2.6 for Windows on it, the error message "Divide by zero or overflow error" shows up and it doesn't start. In Windows 98 also, the same error used to come, but after clicking on the "Ignore" button, it used to run. But in Windows 2000, there is no ignore option. Earlier on my 496 PC, no error message used to come. After I upgraded to Celeron (533 Mhz), this started. This also happens in Pentium 3. Is there a solution ?

Do a keyword search in this forum and you'll find several references to all kinds of patches. The DZPATCH.EXE has worked best for me. Your problem is that there is a bug in FoxPro Windows that causes this error on any processor faster than 333mhz. DZPATCH.EXE fixes it.

Dave S.

UTpal,
Note: As Dave suggests, this isn't OS dependent, but rather based on processor speed. If you prefer not violating your MS FPW license, go to
- "PATCH: Patch_26.exe Fixes Divide by Zero Error on Fast Computers". There is also a link here to upgrade to FPW 2.6a in case you haven't already.

Rick

Thanks a lot Rick and Dave !

The DZPATCH.EXE did not work. I used the command :
DZPATCH.EXE FOXW2600.ESL

PATCH_26.EXE did not work either. I used the command :
PATCH_26.EXE FOXW2600.ESL

Are my commands correct ? Is it that for Windows 2000 Professional, I require a different patch ?

Utpal,
Are you running the Patch executables in the same directory as the files you are patching? In other words, copy the PATCH_26.EXE to your \FPW26 directory (if that's where it is), and run the patch there.

Also, you say, "The patch didn't work", what exactly were the results you got? Did the patch "Run", but when you try to run fox, you get the same results, or did the patch itself fail? Check your directories, and files, and also make sure you've "Patched" the .EXE you think you have.

Best Regards,
Scott

Please let me know if this has helped [hammer]

Thanks a ton Dave ! Your method finally worked. I used the following commands to install the patch file DZPATCH.EXE :

DZPATCH.EXE FOXW2600.ESL
DZPATCH.EXE FOXPROW.EXE

Thanks Scott for trying to help !

Hi everybody,
I have a big problem in usage of one my apllication in Foxpro under a pentium IV 1,5 GHz windows 2000 Pc.
I have already installed the DZPATCH and overwrite the file FOXW2600.esl, but never changed.
So has anyone some suggestion ore more?

With best regards,
Gian

Gian,
It's always better to start a new thread than to add a new question / problem to an old thread. It's also important to note the version of FoxPro (e.g. FPW 2.6 vs. FPW 2.6a) you are using. What kind of error are you getting? (e.g. The divide by zero at startup.)

Rick

Sorry Rgbean,
is the first time that I write in this site.
However,the version of FoxPro that I used was 2.5( I think that this program has been updated to a version 3.0), and the error refers to a message of insufficent memory (I have 20Gbyte of hard disk and 256Mb of ram!), but this happen only in faster pc.
The error of divide by zero has been corected in the past with the DZPATCH.

Many thanks,
Gian

Gian,
See my answer to this topic in thread182-53335. (It's easier than retyping and you should be able to just click on the link.)

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back