Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Foxpro 2.6 for DOS or FP for Windows can run on Windows7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinczej

Programmer
Apr 29, 2003
HU
I just now tried to run my Foxpro 2.6 for DOS program on Windows7. But it sent a message, that the program is not 64bit compatible application, and the program stopped.

It's any way to run Foxpro DOS programs on Windows7?

I'm afraid I can't be much help because it works on my evaluation copy of Windows 7 in a virtual PC under XP. FPW26 runs and tells me that it's running on an 80486 under Windows 3.95. FoxPlus also runs but thinks it's on an 80386 under DOS 5. It also says "(c) 1988 Fox Software" and makes me feel very old.

Geoff Franklin

then you can run a 16-bit exe compiled with foxpro 2.6 in a 64-bit pc with Windows7-64bit (or XP-64bit) using application like Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 or similar ? Thanks

I am looking to update computer. Currently, I am running DOS Foxpro 2.6a with XP Professional(32 bit). I recently went to Compusa store with a copy of Foxpro DOS 2.6a on a pin drive. I was able to run the program only on 32 bit Windows 7. Is there any way to get it to run of Windows 7 64 bit? Or is there some particlar flavor of Windows 7 Required?

I'm just amazed that people are still running FoxPro. What a great product!

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

I/O error problem running Foxpro 2.6a in newer OS:
I migrated OS from Windows XP Pro 2 to both Windows XP 3 and Windows 7 32 bit (could not solve problem on Windows 7 64 bit). Ran into the I/O error that is often reported. This issue is resolved by looking at the code generated by the screen writer that Foxpro 2.6a has available. They create a Foxplus line in the code that needs to be rem out.
m.compstat = SET("COMPATIBLE")
SET COMPATIBLE FOXPLUS
Rem out the second line only, or if you rem out both lines, see the code that refers to it in the generated code and rem those references out.

Of course are old programs, that are written in FP2.6, and work correctly (functionally). :)

Thanks for replies and advisements. I see, that the main problem, that the network sharing has problems on XP virtualbox. As desktop application works FP2.6 program greatly.

Not only are there old programs that still run fine, there are old problems that newer software make so much more difficult that they wouldn't be worth doing any more.

I would have preferred to have used Windows 7 64 bit but Foxpro won't run in it. Apparently, the 16 bit emulation is not included. So I had built a machine from scratch using AMD 955 quad core and loaded 32 bit Windows 7. Not completely through testing for my applications but foxpro appears to run right out of the box wihtout issue. No need for virtual machine. I figure that Windows 7 will be supported for the next ten years like XP had after which time I'll probably be ready to retire.

Ironically, I had decided on Foxplus 25 years ago thinking that the open source code could be ported to any current platform de jour only for the screen formatting to become the real unsurmountalbe issue amoungst a host of impracticel issues. (What was I thinking???!)

Thanx for the answers just the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back