Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

foxpro 2.6 connection very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
hello, i recently setup a netware 6.0. it is the first time that it freezes up on me. after shutding down the server, power it off, our foxpro applicaton takes 10 to 15 minutes to open. this is extra information, it used to happened when i used to run netware 4.11 also. any tips on this problem

I found the same type of problem with Lotus Approach. I found that the default printer on the workstation was pointing at a Novell queue. If I changed it to something else (even creating a nonexistant LPT1 printer) that speeds returned to normal.

Of course, I would make sure that you perform a reindex on your database to clean up records lost during the "shutdown."

Have you changed any parameters on the client side? You mentioned you had the problem with 4.11 also. Foxpro and other legacy DB application like clipper had a problem with corruption using client 2.1 and above on Windows 9x and up. Client side caching appeared to be the issue and could have been resolved in one of two ways. There are two parameters in the client that I recall, one being workstation caching and the other being true commit. True commit being enabled forced the server to acknowledge that every request by the application be written to disk before execution would continue. Check out your client setting and make sure that it is not set to true or on.

I came across a problem with foxpro and nss volumes. Bit of a packet trace and there were alot of requests from workstation but not much back from server. After talking to Novell it looked like the server I was running the app on because of nss the data was responding to quickly. Running on a standard netware volume was ok. Never found a true fix for it. Lee Smith
Associated Network Services
Snr Systems Engineer
Lee.Smith@ANSPLC.Com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back