Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FoxPro 2.6 app crashes in Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

tloh

Programmer
Jul 21, 2000
GB
I have a FoxPro 2.6 app (1.42MB) running quite happily on Windows 95. When I installed this app on a Windows 98 platform (tried Dell GX1 350MHz PC with ATI Rage Pro, Dell Lattitudes laptops), it generated a program error about a variable is not found and irrelevant errors after that. In fact,I do not have any success on any Windows 98 PCs at all. The installation works fine on PCs without Windows 98.<br><br>I then tried a small FoxPro 2.6 app- it works fine(except for usual FOXPRO error due to fast processor - clicked IGNORE). Am I right to conclude my program codes in the larger application has been corrupted due to memory conflicts? If so, what is it and how do I solve them?<br><br>I appreciate your views very much. Thanks!

You mentioned about a &quot;variable not found&quot; error message.<br>Try checking your databases for lost fields, or lost variable definition if you are using memo files (*.MEM files). Are you also using macro substitution?

Just a thought, but do the Win98 PC's have the same sort of drive resources available (e.g. CD-ROM, network, etc) and drive letter mappings?<br><br>I have seen postings relating to this sort of issue, and have experienced problems with a Project moved from a WinNT PC with lots of mapped network drives to a Win98 PC with none.&nbsp;&nbsp;Still don't know what caused the problem and cannot remember the error messages, but I cured it with the brute-force method of deleting the Project and recreating from scratch (it was a small one, so no problem there). <p>Andy Blay<br><a href=mailto:a.d.blay@talk21.com>a.d.blay@talk21.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I have checked database fields, all variable declaration,used Dr Watson and even viewed executable with hexidecimal editor to no avail. Dr. Watson revealed Divide by Zero error which I already knew. <br><br>I recompiled my project under windows 98 with debug information option. I ran it and it worked the first time! I was able to produce an exe that worked on all the Win98 and Win95 PCs !<br><br>I suspect the FoxPro 2.6 complied codes gererated under windows 98 uses different blocks of addressing hence eliminating conflicts with device drivers (particularly video drivers).<br><br>Thank you for your responses and hope everyone learn from my mistakes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back