Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Foxpro 2.5b 32 bits vs Windows XP - refuse to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philmap

Programmer
Aug 29, 2005
CA
Hello,

We have a Foxpro 2.5b MS-DOS application that ran flawlesly for years. The 32 bit compiled software works well on windows 95 and up. But with Windows XP we are confused - some users have no problem at all and some others are not even able to start the application. Some others are saying the experiment some slowlyness a few places in the application - windows xp only.

Config.FP contains MEMLIMIT= 50, 2048, 8192

I have read in this forum that some other developpers said that the thirth parameter was to avoid. But if we don't use it, the full memory available will be used and we don't want that, right?

The problem I have for now is that some new users are telling me that when they start the application from GO.Bat that contains FOXR -T VV.APP the DOS window open and closes in a flash - so fast they cannot see if an error is written.
Same problem whether they start from an icon on the desk or they start from Start and Command directly.

Anyone has a solution ?

Thanks in advance.

On XP/2000 you have to setup file _DEFAULT.PIF in C:\WINDOWS\ too.
There is a setting for XMS memory that you have to set.
I use in config.fp MEMLIMIT=100,4096,10000 with no problem.

Tomas

Hi Tomas,

I like the fact that you said it works with the thirth number in MEMLIMIT and have no problem. I prefer that to limit the maximum memory used.

I also learned since I wrote this posting that DOS programs cannot run on NTFS partitions, only FAT32. Maybe this is the problem with some of my users. I will have to investigate on that.

How do you change the parameters in _DEFAULT.PIF? Is it just by right clicking on the file and changing the properties?

Is it there that you change the XMS memory or if you are talking about CONFIG.FP containing DOSMEM OFF?

Philmap,
There is no problem with running FPD or FPW on a NTFS drive, I've been doing it for years. The only limitation is that your files (and pathing) must conform to the 8.3 file naming convention.

Rick

I modify _default.pif by "rightclick and properties" model :)
There is one combobox named ?XMS memory?.

I never use DOMEM OFF in config.fp and I never had any problem with dos programs on NTFS too.

Tomas

Tomas,

I still use the old file names, so everything is 8 caracters left + 3 caracters right.

But, I am thinking of something weird. My application is still as VV.APP - is it possible that it is the problem? Is it possible that Windows XP is waiting for a .exe ??

The latest message I got from a user this morning is "Cannot locate the desired version of Foxpro".

Do you think having my application as a .exe would solve the problem? Is your application is a standalone .exe ?

Error "Cannot locate the desired version of Foxpro" is exactly because you don't have configure XMS memory. Probably you have only FOXDX260.ESL library and foxpro recognize that you don't have XMS memory, than searches STANDARD library/version of runtime (which does not exist).
Foxpro needs about 3MB XMS memory for starting in Extended version (FOXR.EXE with FOXDX260.ESL library).
You don't need EXE version of file.
My bat contains something like "c:\SomeDir\FOXR XXX.APP -cc:\SomeDir\CONFIG.FP"

Tomas

Thanks to all of you and espacially Tomas, IT WORKS!!
Allocating memory in _DEFAULT.PIF was the answer.

Very simple once we know the answer, as usual.

In fact, I can recreate the situation with windows 98 too; with no memory allocated in the properties the DOS windows just open and closes righ after, doing nothing at all.

What a relief to know that I can use an important Foxpro application even in the Windows XP world!

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back