Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FoxPro 2.0. Recompiling files. Trouble after moving to a new drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSAndre

MIS
Jun 21, 2004
US
We recently moved all of our files over to a new server. On the old server we had many foxpro 2.0 programs and they worked fine. The code in these programs was mapped to the U:\. Since the company has created some structure policies the foxpro 2.0 programs are now located in the I:\. So I went through and changed all of the code to point to the I:\. I am having trouble with one of the EXE files still trying to point to the U:\. To my knowledge I have changed all of the paths. I think what need to be done is that this EXE file needs to be recompiled. It is accompanied by a PJT file and a PJX file. When I went in foxpro 2.0 and tried to recompile these foxpro gave me the error message line too long. Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Any error should be written to a <prjName>.err file. What does it say?

What OS do you use to build under? What OS are you using now?

Rick

Thanks for the reply. The way this program is setup is that an exe file has a menu that runs a bunch of different prg files. After I went through and changed all of the paths to the I: drive I recompiled these prg files. I am having trouble recreating the exe files with the updated prg files. The actual error message I get is U:\Forest.Inv\trees\standid.dbf does not exist. Which this is true it does not exist since the files have been mapped to a different drive. That computer is running WIN 2000 Pro. I am not sure what OS was running when the files were originally created, but I am modifying them in this Win 2000 Pro OS.

Seth

Seth,
OK - I'm confused. Are you getting that message ("U:\Forest.Inv\trees\standid.dbf does not exist") when you compile the project, or when you run the .EXE?

Rick

I get that error running the exe file. That is why I believe the exe file has to be recreated. Since I have changed the paths from U: to I:

Do you guys know how to create exe files from foxpro prg files?

There is still a program, screen file, menu.... which contains the old path. You will probably need to totally remove or disconnect that drive mapping on the developement computer, and step through the program in the Fox IDE. You will eventually see which program is the culprit.

As for creating an exe from a prg, you must use a project file to create an exe. No way around it.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

I appreciate all of the thoughts and ideas regarding this issue. I did end up solving my problem.

Thanks,
Seth

IF you are using VIEWS the full OLD file location may be included there.
Open all your VIEWS, one by one, from the command prompt to check.

If the U: drive is no longer in play, remap it to I:. Look at the SUBST command in the command window of win2000

Situations like this prove how advisable it is not to hard code drive/path information into your EXE file. It would be best to have such information stored in a table or a *.INI file. This way, it would be easier to change designated paths without having to rebuild your EXE files.

Actually you can open the project file (pjx) with the USE statement. Sometimes you can modify the physical path on the object right in that file in the NAME field. This is obviously tricky and should be approached with much care as you can corrupt your project file if you are not careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back