Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fox Pro Win 9 was installed on this

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulL

Programmer
Apr 11, 2000
US
Fox Pro Win 9 was installed on this system disk along with Visual Studio back in 1999. The system disk appears to have gone south.

I have numerous Macrium images of the disk but they appear to be buggy. I would like to do a clean installation of VFP9 SP2 on a new disk.

I have the original installation files on a USB drive but I don't remember if there were any activation codes or such.

What do I need to do.

There is an activation code, it was - for me at least - on the CD case that VFP9 came in.

You won't find an activation number on TT - you will need to find your case or buy another copy.

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm trying to cut down on the use of shrieks (exclamation marks), I'm told they are !good for you.

If you have Visual Foxpro running on an existing machine, you can simply copy it to a new machine (assuming of course, that you plan to no longer use the old machine; if that's not the case, you would need to buy a new licence).

To transfer it to a new machine, you need to copy the VFP program directory (usually installed under Program Files), and also the files in %appdata%\Microsoft\Visual Foxpro 9, and also %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VFP.

When I did the above to transfer VFP from Windows XP to Windows 7, I also had to copy across msvcr71.dll. There might be other DLLs to be copied as well.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

1. VFP9 was never part of Visual Studio. Since version 7 VFP is a standalone product.
2. In 1999 the latest VS was VS6, the first .NET Visual Studio was released 2002.

So you had VFP6, not VFP9. If you now need VFP9 you'd have to buy it anyway. If you want back the VFP version coming with VS6, then you need to look for someone selling Visual Studio 6 aka VS98, unless you still have access to the old computer and copy it over as Mike suggests.

Bye, Olaf.

Hi Mike and Olaf.

Thanks for the information. As I said I will probably just install a new system disk in this old box. It's old but it's an I7.

I've checked the disks with the slow scan under the Western Digital test software and it seems to be OK, but the disks are 6 years old and probably getting flaky.

It's been a long while since I wrote anything big in Xbase and that was mostly in Clipper. Every once in a while I'll start up FoxPro to do some really quick analysis of some data. It's still a great product. I don't know why they dropped it!

Belarc Advisor did find a 20 digit license key for VFP9 Professional. I wonder where Belarc found that number. Do you think it would be in one of the directories you mentioned? Will I have to do anything special to preserve that number?

Olaf, you're right. I found that I definitely do have a separate VFP9 installation in addition to the much older Visual Studio and, count em, three different COBOL compilers!

Gosh dang it, I must be older than dirt.

Has anyone seen Cetin Basoz hanging around anywhere?

Paul in the Hudson Valley

Paul,

For Cetin Basoz try LevelExtreme.com ( former Universal Thread )

Regards,

Jockey2

If you copy the installation you won't need to register VFP again with its product key. But if that disc works in contrast to the VS6 disc, you can also reinstall, number of installation is not limited to one PC. The product key is a sticker inside the CD case. Unless you have a download version from MSDN subscription, then log in there and look into your list of requested product keys, you should be able to do or already have done a download of all your product keys as an xml file for future reference.

What you might want to register is some dependencies , which can be done by starting vfp9.exe with /regserver parameter as admin once.
Then myaybe make some file location settings, eg for the dv_foxhelp.chm file.

It can't harm to run vfpclean.app from the Home() folder too, on the new system with the copied VFP.

Reinstallation may be more comfortable to get to a well configured IDE than needing to manually go through all file locations. You might also export your VFP settings from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualFoxPro\9.0 as reg file for easy reregistration in the new system.

Bye, Olaf.

Thanks Jockey2, I found Cetin over there. I haven't spoken to him for several years and I lost his email address.

Olaf, I'll probably just copy the installation. I never did get comfortable with the IDE. I started out as a clipper guy after working with Basil Hosmer on some of the internal clipper code. When I started using FoxPro I never really used the IDE much. It doesn't matter much, I currently use FoxPro only for very informal parsing stuff.

I told you I'm older than dirt. I've even got two sign ins here, PaulL from Ap;ril 2000, and plepkowski from 2005. I must have forgotten about the first and signed up again.

Forgetful Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back