Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fox Pro-Automatically closing tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpropson

IS-IT--Management
Jul 15, 2004
US
Hello,
First of all, I'm not a Fox Pro developer. Our Foxpro guys are always telling us that certain procedures fail to run at night because somebody has a table opened (and locked, I suppose).

Are there not ways to force users out and unlock tables before any other procudures run on the database at night?

We are running Fox Pro 7 (Sorry if this is the wrong forum).

Your insight is greatly appreciated.

If you are using Visual Foxpro 7 then this is the wrong forum, you should post your question in forum184, but there is already a faq you should check first.

A way to force Users out of your VFP application
faq184-3152

Hello Rambler,

Yes, I realized that and posted to the proper forum. Also, thanks for the article.

Hi dpropson,

This might not be the proper forum, but this is definitely the right place! you are welcome.

I maintain a payroll system written in Fox 2.6a, and I face this open file problem on a regular basis. I read that FAQ from the other forum and I think it us just a timer window that counts down from 5 minutes. I don't see how it closes open files or forces users out at all.

If there is a way to figure out who has a file open in the Windows server network environment and Fox 2.6a and/or close a file someone else has open, we all here in our shop would like to know about it!

Regards,
Glenn Koproske

Glenn,
That sort of timer could be running in each instance of the application, so it can close itself after a certain amount of idle time.

Anyway, Windows server has a command line utility named OPENFILES.EXE that will list open files and who has them open. Supposedly you can also use it to close files, but I haven't tested it.

There is also a free utility name OFL.EXE I downloaded from somewhere, I forget where, that will list open files and also close them.

Of course, both of those utilities would have to be run via RUN command or batch file from FP2.x.

But if you happen to have a copy of VFP, you can follow the link in my signature to download a utility I wrote for listing open files and closing them.
It is a form was written using VFP 7 and API calls, but it hasn't been compiled so you need VFP to run it.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back