Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forwards to Fax instead of VM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianIP

IS-IT--Management
Aug 25, 2003
US
Here is the situation:

Receptionist phone (Ext. 200) has 8 incoming lines. On the first line, if she does not pick up the call, after 4 rings it will forward the caller off to what appears to be a fax or modem line and you can hear the fax tones. Her extension is set to forward to voicemail only after 10 rings. Each of the other incoming lines work fine and forward properly if not picked up after 10 rings.

I have gone through all the settings and they seem to be in properly because 7 of the 8 lines are working fine. Why would the first line not be affected by the settings as the other 7 are? Is there a way to tell which fax/modem line the calls are being routed to on the first line?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Does the first line appear on a phone that the other 7 lines don't. This may cause that line to act different.

is it possible the phone company is handing you off before the system has time to do what it should? (no answer forward only on that one line?)

a suggestion is to tap the line button after the call goes to the unknown fax/modem and see what the display says about the call ie: in use 234 etc. you may find that you have an ata or rad answering the calls due to default programming.

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

It might be that the RAD (a modem that allows remote maintenance of the phone system) is set to answer line one OR the alarm company connected the first line to their equipment and is answering the calls.

I would go with the RAD if your system is a CICS it is internal and you have to enter system porgraming to check

if the RAD is external you can press F**9 then the rad password to check the settings

Good Luck

when you say you can hear the fax tones do you mean that the attendent can hear them if she taps line button 1?
does line button 1 have an indicator showing that the line is active?

If the first then look at your cross connection wiring between the system and the telco demark and see if you have something else (like an alarm company tapped onto it). if you don't see anything tapped onto it from the telco demark disconnect the line at the demark and dial the main number again to see if the modem answers with nothing connected at the demark, next connect back up and disconnect from the norstar's block and dial again. this will give you an idea where the other device answering from.

if you have an indicator showing that the line is active and a modem tone is answering that means that something internal to the norstar system (irad, rad, ata, iata, etc) is answering the line. If privacy is not disabled in programming then if you tap the line button next to the active indicator your display will tell you what is active on that line.

Like noted above the IRAD on rel 6.0 plus is active by default on line 1 but I thought that it answered on 6 rings.

Please let us know what you find out in any case though.

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

I think it is the RAD. Now that you mention it I did ask our phone vendor to set up the RAD so I can dial in remotely. I don't remember asking him to set it on our first incoming line though.
I'm going to try and dial in to it and see if it works.

Okay, I checked it out and it definitely is the RAD that is picking up. The only problem is that I don't have the RAD's password to log in.
Is there a way to disable the RAD from picking up the line? Also, what options do I have to resetting the RAD password?

Thanks in advance.

If it is a FastRad, these are the steps to follow to reset the password. (I have never tried it, but Technicians I have given it to say it works). The softkeys are under the display (you have to program on an M7324, M7310 or T7316)

1. Set system time and date to March 12, 12:31PM
2. Press Feature 9**
3. Hit Left softkey 8 times
4. Hit Middle softkey 4 times
5. Hit Right softkey 6 times
6. Press Hold
7. Press 2
8. Press 1
9. Press RLS

(the password has to be more than 8 digits long)

Let me know if it works. Once you're in, you can change the Auto Answer to Off.

So, is this the IRAD on a CICS, or a Fast RAD on a MICS, or an older RAD? Gotta know to point you in the right direction.

MarvO said it

Does the customer have an alarm system that is monitored? I have a customer who has an alarm, and the system is tied into Line 1. It answers the occasional call - if 2 calls come in one after the other with in 1 minute...
You might just want to look at that external aspect also... Because when it answers it sounds like a fax or a modem. Often alarm companies put it on the first line or second line so they can access the alarm system remotely...

CICS ? Starting in Version 6.0 Nortel introduced Auto-answer for the IRAD as a default setting in the KSU. Although the program sheets would indicate that the feature is set to 'No' by default, the auto-answer was on. This feature seemed to have been introduced without much notice in the documentation. Look in: SYSTEM PROGRAMMING then, REMOTE ACCESS, then IRAD for Answer Line prompt.

magup1.

What is the feature code to reset the system time??

If it is a FastRad, these are the steps to follow to reset the password. (I have never tried it, but Technicians I have given it to say it works). The softkeys are under the display (you have to program on an M7324, M7310 or T7316)

1. Set system time and date to March 12, 12:31PM
2. Press Feature 9**
3. Hit Left softkey 8 times
4. Hit Middle softkey 4 times
5. Hit Right softkey 6 times
6. Press Hold
7. Press 2
8. Press 1
9. Press RLS

(the password has to be more than 8 digits long)

never mind I got it.

to set system date and time
**9time
enter sys cord pwd then change time and date to the above message and follow that list. it worked the first time I tried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back