Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forwarding without attachments; can it be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmckeown

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2002
US
I have a number of users that have their email forwarded to an external email address. I did this by setting up mail enabled contacts for their external email addresses. It all works fine accept that I need to filter out the attachments. We get a ton of large files every hour. The senders are getting non-delivery reports from the external email addresses due to storage limitations. The user does not get the new mail due to their external mailbox being full. I need to filter the attachments out on a user by user basis.

Does anyone know of a way to filter out the attachments when forwarding mail to external addresses?

Thanks,
Tom

Are there no replys because this is so simple that I should know it? Or, is it that no one else knows how to do this either?

I'm still hoping for any reply.
Thanks

Message size limits will transfer the error to your server instead of the distant end. If you want to strip attachments on outbound mail, you'll need a third party product.

Thanks xmsre,
I had a feeling that I would have to get third party software for it. I looked and looked but could find no function for this in Exchange.

Bummer

Tom,

I have exactly the same situation with 2 of my users that collect email on the road using a nextel blackberry phone. If you find a decent 3rd party solution, can you let me know what it is?

Thanks,
James

That's exactly my problem too. Our GM has a Nextel Blackberry. It fills up before noon each day, so messages get bounced back as undeliverable. I have not done much research into it yet, but I need to soon.

Tom

Though stripping attachments would be a more elegant solution, I've fallen back on a more basic approach: call the Blackberry provider and complain. In two cases, I've had the mailbox size increased from 10mb to 50mb, enough to keep the mailboxes functional under a normal daily load of jpegs and pdfs.

- Adam

That may be my only option at this point. With all the features Exchange has, it's hard to believe they missed this. It seems like a no-brainer to me. Maybe that will be part of Exchange 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back