Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forwarding to subdomains

Status
Not open for further replies.

sampko

Programmer
Nov 4, 2004
US
Have a request from one of our developers to allow anyone located on the domain to type videos in there internet browser and have it point to a virtual director.( This is the second such request to come from them, and the first one was "help" pointing to On the first one, I put in a dns entry for help pointing to server then I created a default.htm and setup a redirect to That worked perfectly, but now there is another one that needs to be setup so I can't use the same solution. Any ideas on how to solve this?

Do you mean you can't use the same static ip address on port 80? That's my best guess, you need to be a little more specific what's not working out. I use a different static ip address for each domain / subdomain. Each one is redirected appropriately to each hosted website from the same server from different internal tcp ports like 2020, 2030, 2040, etc. The router has NAT and Firewall policies that points each external static ip to its corresponding internal server ip / internal port number (2020, 2030...). This way, each website / subdomain is directed through a different static ip to different internal ports setup in the IIS. I know there are many other tricks, but I'm fairly new to IIS myself.

JD Solutions

Hi, all you have to do is create another DNS entry (videos) with the same IP and create a new website with a host header binding (web site tab, advanced) and redirect to
this is not very elegant but it'll work without any programmation

Hope this helps. Please let me know if this resolve your issue

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back