Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

forwarding to all including self, can it be done ? 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

foosy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2005
US
I have a hunt group in which there is one extension, the one of the secretary.
Call routing is sending all incoming calls to that hunt group, ie the secretary.
Secretary has a button programmed to forward all calls to all phones. It just makes all phones ring at the same time, except her phone- which makes sense as she is the one that forwarded the calls, BUT, I do want it to ring her phone too. Can it be done?

This for example in the case where there are many calls coming and the secretary needs support from other people at the office, or when there is only one person in the office and you want all phones to ring so that the person can answer the closest physical phone.

One restriction, is that I need this to be done through the button programming on a status button, so we can easily see if the phones are ringing on all or not. Again, I have this all working minus ringing on the secretary's phone. Would it work with adding a virtual user set to ring on that same phone? Any other ideas?

Create a hunt group containing all users AND the secretary. Create another group containing only the secretary.

Route all calls to the secretary group and set the other group as Out Of Service target.

You can set the secretary group out of service with a function button.

Need some help with IP Office?

If I read you correctly, the only thing I need to do is set the "All phones Huntgroup" to OOS instead of regular forward.
So there is one thing I am not sure about: The secretary has 3 buttons: forward all, forward A, forward B. They are like a multi switch- only one is active at a time. Will that also work if instead of forward all, I change it to OOS?

Set the secretary only hunt group to OOS, with the secretary and everyone else as the destination. Because the secretary only group is the original destination of the call.

Now that you've thrown in the Forward All, Forward A, and Forward B buttons into the mix. what is the underlying action on those buttons?

The idea is that the secretary can take one of various actions.
Forward ALL - makes all phones ring internally
Forward A - forwards all call to an outside number
Forward B - forwards all call to a different outside number

There is also some additional functionality built in the VMPro that can set any of these forwards (or cancel forwarding).

Hunt Group 200-Main - Members is Secretary Only
Hunt Group 201-All - Members are Secretary and all other extensions
Hunt Group 202 - Outside number 1
Hunt Group 203 - Outside Number 2

Incoming Call Route targets Hunt Group 200
Out of Service destination of 200 is 201
Night Service destination of 201 is 202
Out of Service destination of 201 is 203

Hunt Group 202 is sequential, has a single member, and that member is forwarded (including hunt group calls) to Outside Number 1

Hunt Group 203 is sequential, has a single member, and that member is forwarded (including hunt group calls) to Outside Number 2

Call comes into HG 200. No buttons activated, secretary rings
200 set to OOS, call goes to 201 instead, and secretary and all other extensions ring
200 set to OOS AND 201 set to Night Service, call goes to HG 202 (and outside number 1)
200 set to OOS AND 201 set to OOS, call goes to HG 203 (and outside number 2)

Put a Set Hunt Group OOS 200 on the Secretary, label it Forward
Put a Set Hunt Group Night Service 201 button on the Secretary, label it Forward Outside 1
Put a Set Hunt Group OOS 202 button on the Secretary, label it Forward Outside 2

One other option is that you can create several timeprofiles without any time entry or calendar. This way the timeprofile will never be true.

Example:
Timeprofile1: ForwardInteral
Timeprofile2: ForwardExternal_1
Timeprofile3: ForwardExternal_2

In the incoming callroute you can add these timeprofiles to the incoming DDI number.
timeprofile ForwardInteral destination the huntgroup with all the internal numbers you needed.
timeprofile ForwardExternal_1 destination the first external forward number
timeprofile ForwardExternal_2 destination the second external forward number
Default value the huntgroup with online the secretary.

Program on the secretary the buttons with the names of the timeprofiles you created. When you want to activate a certain option you can set Time Profile Latch Active. This way the timeprofile is always active and the button will lite up green when the timeprofile is active so you can see wat forward is active.

This way you can add endless forward numbers. With the OOS and Nightservice you have only a few options.

Resi70, this is a very interesting solution worth investigating. I will test this and report.

I guess these solutions will work for regular scenarios. Mine is more complicated, and I was trying to avoid the complexity when I asked the question, so I got excellent responses but unfortunately they will not work in my scenario. I have the Incoming call routes always start with the VMPro, as I have some logic there that performs functions before looking at which number to forward to. Part of the functionality I have is the capability to change where the calls are routed to. So basically it is not just the secretary that can change the routing, it is certain people calling the office, and the nice thing is that when the routing is changed through the VM, it changes the lights on the secretary's phone, so that she knows what forwarding is active.

The only thing I was missing, was that the secretary's phone does not ring when forwarding to all. I was hoping to have it ring maybe through adding a virtual extension that is handled by this phone, but if it is not possible - so be it.

I am pretty sure it is possible. But with your last post I am unable to follow your scenario. I have no clue what you set up in VMPro.

Nevertheless you can set call forwarding target numbers with buttons in the secretary phone (with LEDs showing the state) and you can check the set number from VMPro to use it for routing decision.

Note that when using VMPro it is not necessary to enable call forwarding but only needed to set the target to decide about the routing. This way you can even with VMPro route into a group where the secretary is a member of.

@derfloh, I am not sure I am understanding your last line.
The secretary needs also to be able to forward the calls by pressing a button. Right now when she does it, it set to forward to a huntgroup with all extensions but it does not ring her own phone.
Are you suggesting this can be done (other than with OOS as someone else suggested)?

Check for the call forwarding target number in VMPro. Then use a transfer by variable action. There you can choose for any value of the variable where to transfer the call for variable value x. No need to enable call forwarding. Just set the target.

Brilliant!
I will try this on Monday.
But I still have a question. If the secretary pressed the button to forward all, and the vmpro is routing the calls to a target huntgroup, instead of to the secretary, once it reaches the secretary, will it not try to forward it to all, meaning that it will not ring there?

No it won't because the secretary has no active call forwarding enabled. You can see the forwarding target number as a kind of a multi switch in VMPro.

You can pull the value with a generic action. The content is stored in $SAV and in the 'transfer by variable' you check what values you expect in $SAV.

I understand the VMpro part- no problem there.
I don't understand the secretary part. She needs to press a button that sets forward all. That is how the light turns on on her phone. That actively sets the routing. Are you saying that there is a way to set the target for forward without activating it and that it will turn the light on her phone ?

Dude - she's not setting Forward - she's setting Night Service or she's setting Out of Service for hunt groups. So the call normally rings hunt group 200, which is just her. If she sets Night Service it rings hunt group 201, which is her and everyone else. If she sets Out of Service, it rings hunt group 202 which is a phantom extension forwarded to a cell phone.

In my solution no OOS or NS is used because all calls are routed through VMPro. This will be more flexible.

There is not only a button call forwarding all but also a button forwarding number (or similar - don't know how it exactly named in English). You can have multiple of those buttons. This way you can set different values for the same variable - and use it for decisions in VMPro.

Kudos @derfloh!
It works. The only thing I had to add was a button which I Labeled “No Forwarding” and set its Foward number data value to zero. This matches the programming I have on the VMPro, and also works as the secretary can easily see the status.

Now all phones ring on forward all.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back