Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forwarding specific emails sent to our Exch server on to a Unix host

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdArm

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2004
GB
Guys, got a little problem here.
We have a Win2K domain running AD. We have on this domain an Exch 2K server to which all of our mail is delivered. We have a scenario whereby we wish to have messages sent to specific email addresses forwarded on to a Unix host machine. For example, let's say we had on our server an email address called unixcode@ourdomain.com. When emails to this address hit out Exchange server, we want our server to intelligently know that any message to this address is not to be processed the the Exchange server itself, but re-routed/passed on/forwarded on to a user on a specific Unix host, even to a specific SMTP address on that Unix host.
Many years ago, in the days of Exch 5.5, my manager and I managed to achieve this in a test lad, but then the requirement for us to do this was removed, so the project got shelved.
Now we are on Exch 2K, the requirement has rose from the ashes. Any idea how I'd go about doing this (I'm sure you do!)

Thx

For each mailbox there is an option in active directry- exchange general- delivery options -Delivery option- forward to- there U can define to forward the message to unix host. That particular unixhost has to definted as contact in active directory with his smtp address.

let me know if this is what U need.

or else if it is something else- I got to understand scenario more.

regards

Shakeel

Thanks shk2287, but I omitted to mention that our Exchange server and the Unix hosts are affectively on 2 different domains (perhaps I shoulda mentioned that before, eh?)
I tried what you suggested, but I just got message bounce backs (probably not that surprising considering).

Any more ideas?

Setup a mail enabled contact and forward the email to that address.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back