Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forwarding Over 10 Ports on ROuter

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicholasM

Technical User
Aug 5, 2003
US
Hoping someone may help on this....I am using VNC to try and monitor about 6 stations on a network from remote. All works well except I have to forward two ports (5800/5900) for each computer and the router only provides slots for 10 ports to be forwarded (Linksys)

Is there anyway around this problem short of activating dmz for the one station I cant port forward

Thanks for any ideas

Nick

First, no matter how many 'slots' there are, you'll find that you can only forward any 1 port to 1 machine. If you forward the same port to multiple machines, how will the router decide which machine you intend to access?

In order to do what you're trying, you have 2 choices:

1. set up a VPN to get inside your network then work like you normally would from inside the network

or

2. enable remote administration on the router. Forward the required ports to 1 specific machine and do whatever you need to do. Then remotely change the router forwarding to point to the next machine and repeat the process.

Thanks for the reply. I was aware of those choices but thought there was some other way of forwading the 5800/5900 ports to 6 machines...this uses 12 slots on the router. Guess not:

BTW, you don't need to forward both ports 5800 AND 5900 for VNC. If you are using the vncviewer.exe application, then you only need to forward port 5900. If you are using a java enabled browser for remote control, then you only need to forward port 5800.

Also, you can change what port VNC listens on, so that you can forward port 5900 to PC1, 5901 to PC2, 5902 to PC3 etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back