Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forwarding out of same domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

micromyth

Programmer
Aug 27, 2002
GB
HI

I have an Exchange 2000 server using exchange POP3 to get email. I have an external user with another account on the domain collecting mail from POP3 from the ISP. Obviously when I send her an email exchange routes it locally and cannot find the address. Is there anyway for exchange to route a single email address on the same domain out of the exchange server to the internet?

You're question isn't very clear. How is she getting the mail sent to your domain from the ISP's mail servers?

She is getting the mail from the domain via POP3 e.g. mail.domain.com.

I am getting the email from the same mail server using the root@domain.com email address (all emails not specific to another mailbox go here)

The mail then goes via Exchange POP3 to Exchange 2000.

That is because you probably have your local DNS and Default Recipient Policy set to the domain hosted outside.
You server will then indeed not send it out.
If you take the domain.com out of the default recipient list, it will work, but pay attention to your SMTP addresses, if they are on automatic inherit (default), they will be lost. So, if domain.com is your primary domain, that is not such a good idea.
In that case, you would be better of to let that external user collect mail from your server, or get them to use another account to forward mail to.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back