Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forwarding Emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavin31

Programmer
Mar 14, 2004
IE
I am new to sys admin (being given the job by default) and a have what maybe a very basic problem.

We have two employees leave the company, and two new ones start.

In Active Users & Directories I have:

1. created accounts for the new employees and their outlook email accounts etc. are working fine.

2. gone into the properties of the old employees and changed the Forward box in the Delivery Options under the Exchange General tab to the email/name of the new user.

The problem I have is that emails from internal email accounts (i.e. other employees) are correctly forwarded to the new employees, but emails from external addresses are still going to the inbox of the old employee.

If anyone has any suggestions they are greatfully appreciated. (Step-by-Step guides would be an absolute god send).

Regards

Gavin

The way I handle your scenario is that I go into the old accounts and delete their main SMTP address from the Email Addresses tab. Then I go and add that as an additional (non-primary) SMTP address on the same tab of the new user's account.

Not sure why delivery is bifurcated the way you describe, but set up the way I described it, you won't have that issue.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

I agree that you should just add the old users SMTP address to the new user if you want them to receive mail addressed to the old user. (After removing it form the old user's account).

But I noticed also that you said you added the user in Active Directory Users & Computers.

On an SBS you should NOT add users this way because you would then have to do all of the following manually if you wanted to have the new users properly configured to use all of SBS's components:

" Creates user account. Allow multiple users to be created.
" Enables Exchange e-mail services for the user. Exchange mailboxes are created if e-mail alias is specified.
" Sends an introductory e-mail to the user. The e-mail content is located in %sbsprogramdir%\Administration\samplemail.htm.
" Assigns the user to Exchange distribution lists.
" Grants access to network resources such as shared folders, printers, and fax printers.
" Grants permissions to SharePoint.
" Grants the user VPN/Dial-in access or not via group membership.
" Gives the user remote administration privileges or not via group membership.
" Deploys software to user computers (launches the Setup Computer wizard).
" Assigns user(s) a logon script \\servername\NETLOGON\SBS_LOGON_SCRIPT.bat. If a logon script already exists for the user, a pointer to the SBS logon script is appended to the existing logon script. Logon script entry: \\servername\Clients\Setup\Applnch.exe /s servername

SO... instead you should use the Add User Wizard found in the Server Management Console > Users snap-in.

I'd really suggest that you get a bit of training which will help you imensely and save you plenty more time than it takes. There are some decent online labs that you can take and I've listed them here:

Jeffrey B. Kane [MVP - Small Business Server]
TechSoEasy
Blog:

Thanks for your help, ShackDaddy and TechSoEasy.

I have tried your suggestions but when I try to delete the SMTP address from the old user it won't allow me to do it, saying it is the primary address.

Should I switch the primary address to another one (the only other one says X400), and then delete the SMTP address?

On a further note, is it possible for the new user to view the old users previously recieved emails without physically logging into the old users account?

Many thanks again

Gavin

I agree about the dummy SMTP address. because after you remove the true email address and place on the other user's account you should disable the old user account.

So, what would you do about the archived email messages?

Before disabling the account, log into it and open Outlook and export everything to a .pst file. Before logging out, grant the new user full permissions on that file. Then put that.pst file on the new user's machine for them to be able to open in Outlook.

This can also be done administratively with EXMerge ( but for just the one mailbox it's sometimes easier to do it in Outlook.

TechSoEasy
Blog:

Would this also work if the user wants his emails forwarded to an external address? ie. the user wishes all emails on the server forwarded to his home email so he can access them with Outlook Express.

I've told him to use Remote Web Access but he's old skool (and old) and finds this approach easier to use.

I've tried both of these to no avail:

Forwarding to an external email address is completely different. But if you are using Small Business Server, and if the home user has Outlook 2003 (not Express), then you can have him use RPC over HTTPS (Outlook Anywhere) to access his Exchange Mailbox.

Forwarding them to his home email would mean that when he responded it would be FROM his home email and the response wouldn't be saved in his Exchange Mailbox.

TechSoEasy
Blog:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back