Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forwarded emails sporadic

Status
Not open for further replies.

MillMaster

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2006
US
We have many contractors who want all their emails forwarded to their personal email accounts. Before I create their user account, I create a contact for them with their personal email. I can then use that contact as a way to forward.

My problem is that I have 1 or 2 users that don't always get their emails forwarded. They might get 1 out of every 10 or possibly a few in a row and then miss 20. When I have them log into OWA, all the mail is there, its just not always forwarded.

Where do I start digging for the root of this problem?

Did you set up the forwarding via a rule, or did you set it up through the "exchange general" tab in ADUC (via Delivery Options)? I have had issues when trying to do forwarding via rules, but I have not had a problem when going through ADUC.

In ADUC under the user with the local mailbox I use the "exchange general" tab, and click the delivery options button. I set the mail to forward to the contact I have created that contains their personal email.

So I have joeblow@DOMAIN.local set to forward to a contact called joeblow - personal. That contact "card" has their personal email address in the email field.

(not even sure if this is the best way to do this anyhow)

Yep that's the way I do it, and I've never had a problem. Are the accounts you are forwarding to AOL accounts? AOL is notorious for blacklisting various domains. Have you just tried sending test messages to the contacts you set up to see how it works in a non-forward situation?

Check exyternal DNS for an A, PTR, and MX record. Check the various blacklists. Check to see if you are an open relay, etc. SOme providers will tarpit or block you just because of the IP range you come from. There's not enough information here to determine why.

Hi,

ive set up a forwarding via ADUC, but need to stop it in a coulpe of weeks, but cannot find where to edit the forwading in ADUC. or is there any way to block this users forwading to user B when user A comes back from holidays. i know i should have dont this in rules but didnt, could be trouble if i cant sort this when return from holidays(easly annoyed user).
have logged into users outlook but cant find where to kill the forward.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back