Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forwarded Call Bounced 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOL101

Technical User
Mar 24, 2011
US
When a call from outside is transferred to a phone that has a forward to another area code it just rings back to the person that transferred the call. I tested with a 1-800 number and 1-925, the 1-800 number forwarded fine the 1-925 number bounced back. But if you call the line direct it forwards fine.

What is wrong?

I am unversed on the NEAX line, but it sounds like toll restriction and/or class of service on the forwarded/forwarding phone. Also, LCR classes might be in play. If you can call the 1-925 number from the forwarded phone, then either the forward-to number is mis-programmed or the call is affected by the forwarding phone's class of service/toll restriction/LCR class. If I were paranoid about toll abuse, I would find a way to prevent Operator assisted calls. Sounds like the 1-925 number is the cell phone of the forwarded phone's user. Have you tried inter-coming the phone to see if it transfers?

Hopefully, someone qualified on this system can help.

Enable Trunk-to-Trunk via Command 360 and Command 08-028. Both should be set to "0". Make sure Command 3505 is set to a "1".

TO NEAX: Can you dumb that down so I can understand it? Or point out some docs that explain those commands. I also am not familiar with the NEAX IPS 2000.

I think trunk-to-trunk is working since he can push the 800 number through.

Here's how to do what neax said...

TRF-CONF-*-TRF-CONF-#

Redial-360-Feature-(incoming rte xx)(outgoing rte xx)-Feature-0-CONF

Redial-3505-Feature-(trunk route xx)-Feature-1-CONF

Redial-08-Feature-028-Feature-0-CONF

I think I've got that right; not sure about 35YY. As you can see, if you don't know what you're doing, it could be dangerous. You might benefit from finding a set of manuals on CD.

havonasun is correct. Command 3500 is probably set correct.

If the trunks are ISDN, DID, Loop or Ground Start, 3500 for the Route # used would be 00

First test should be what happens when you dial a 1-800 number direct from the handset and what happens with a 1-925 call?

We know that trunk to trunk is allowed or the 1-800 wouldn't succeed and we know the trunks work too so the line of reasoning so far doesn't fit. I'm not 100% sure but I think that with a direct call the forward uses the calling parties restriction setting but with a transferred call it uses the called parties restriction setting. It is however possible that restrictions have been placed on the lines rather than the extensions (Cmds 3551 to 3558).

I can dial both directly fine from any phone. Its just when they transfer to a phone that is forwarded out of the area code. These most of the phones have Direct Dial numbers. If the phone number is dial directly it forwards fine.

I went ahead and explained that it is most likely a security feature for operator assisted long distance.

The office is planning on getting a new phone system this year. I am not to worried about this issue. Thanks for everyone's help.

You're ditching the IPS?????

What are you looking at that can do better?

I would be really interested to know.

The PBX is not going to be supported after 2012. Part of our policy is that all hardware must be supportable by the manufacturing vendor. We are looking at a shore-tel or other IP phone system.

Wouldn't it be easier to upgrade to an 8300 keeping all the existing handsets with no need to retrain?

Well I need to be trained to have to be retrained. As far as the handset, they are dropping the LCD screens. I watched a demo of the Shore-tel everything looks easy for swapping phone and moving extension. I also know how IP works and do not need to learn an older tech of digital phones.

This is a older video but still pretty easy.

The 8300 is hybrid and IP phones are available. How old are the phones losing the displays as there was a known (but seldom admitted to) problem with a batch of displays!

If those are ETJ/ETW phones, then the display problem is an easy fix. It's really a problem with gravity and people dropping the phone on the desk. The display connector comes loose real easy and just needs plugged back in. If they are DTP/DTU phones, the display is a modular piece that sometimes needs reseated (phone stays together, two screws for display). The DTR/DTH phones have the worst LCD issues, and I haven't taken those apart yet.

Shore-Tel is just..ok. I've seen a lot of buyer's remorse on that one and mostly on the support side. Try to get some input from reviews and forums. My personal opinion is that VoIP is an absolute waste if it's all contained in the same building. I can understand why an IT guy might be interested, but it's only skin deep; it's still telephony, but with a different way of connecting to the switch. The nicest thing about VoIP phones is that you can plug them in anywhere (literally), you can use third-party SIP phones, and you don't have to mess with a cross-connect field. But the nuts-n-bolts of it is that it's still a head-end, copper connectivity, and a phone. You get basically the same thing, but with connection and quality issues on top of telephony issues.

I know that the SV8x00 is a VoIP switch, and I may have just contradicted myself, so I'll point out a couple of things. First, the telephone sets are usually most of the cost. Since the system is hybrid TDM/IP, you can take your time integrating newer phones into the system. Second, NEC is only producing the Univerge and DSX platforms now - an IP hybrid and an over-the-counter. The DSX really doesn't count since anyone can buy it, it's very inexpensive, and it fills the SOHO niche. Sweet little system, though. So a company that's been around for a long time, has a very high market share, and still has systems operating as long as they've been around (I serviced a 616 last month, over 20 years old!), and is now staking it all on a single platform, either has a great product or great support.

However, since you mentioned that you are IP oriented and are looking for an IP switch, I will echo what Ozzie asked. Why not upgrade to an 8300? It can do everything the Shore-Tel can do, including easily swapping phones and moving extensions.

I will contact my sales rep about the 8300. What would cause a phone to not swap? I pasted the error below.

The reading of the station data (Swap station 1) was completed normally.
The reading of the station data (Swap station 2) was unusually finished.
<Restoration>The restoration of the data was unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back