Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forward Unconditional Button Programming - Two Different Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokermia

IS-IT--Management
Mar 4, 2004
US
I have a site with IPO Essential Edition R8.1(81), POTS lines, and 9508 phones. One extension is shared by two people who are often remote. The site would like to program two buttons on the extension phone, one that will forward all calls to "Jim" when he's supposed to be available, and one that will forward all calls to "John" when he's supposed to be available.

The site knows how to manually set the phone to Fwd Unconditional as "Jim" has already been working remotely for some time, and the lines are already set up for analog trunk-to-trunk. Since "John" will be now sharing the extension now, though, they want to program buttons on the phone instead of manually changing the number each time so that they can just press either the "Jim" or "John" button depending on who's supposed to be available. Both buttons would forward to a different outside number.

TIA for any advice, and let me know what other info you need.

put them into a group and have them log in to get calls.

You can also have 2 groups as fallback groups, one as night service fallback and the other one as out of service fallback. That way you can see which one is active and turn it off again.
As long as you don't use the fallback already you should be fine

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME), expired ACIS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

Thanks - can you unpack the first part for me, as in how to program it? I'm very familiar with the programming, I've just never tried to program a forward unconditional like this before.

part 1 is a HuntGroup Enable button on the phone of the people that get the calls (Jim and John) and they can log in and out of the group that gets the calls anyways which is usually the reception group (or by default Main)
that way you don't have to do anything on the reception phone for forwarding but they activate and deactivate the calls to their phone.

Joe W.

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"

Did I understand that right? These two users share one phone but use their own extension?

I would create a HG with these two users and set that group as coverage group for both users. So calls for the not reachable user will ring at the other user.

why not just give them ip phones and then when they are there they can just log in their own extension, at the end of the day log out the phone.

They use the same phone and share the same extension. Giving them an IP Phone isn't an option, as the site doesn't want to spend any additional money

Sounds like an awful setup.
Extra phone doesn't cost more than 2 hours labour (which you probably spent on this issue and will invoice them for)

Anyway, why not give the two gentlemen a DDI each? pointing at separate HG, with the same phone extn

ICR 1 -> HG 1.
In service -> Phone extn rings, Tag shows Name1 in display.
Out of service -> Phantom user fwd to outside number 1.

ICR 2 -> HG 2.
In service -> Phone extn rings, Tag shows Name2 in display.
Out of service -> Phantom user fwd to outside number 2.

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

almost a good idea Gunnar :)

jokermia said:
POTS lines

Joe W.

Oh well, I keep forgetting what POTS is - Pretty Obsolete Telephony Signal - still a big hit in the "New World" [smile] One generation above morse code...

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

But these POTS lines can do a lot more than in the "old world"
3 phone numbers with different rings to distinguish between them and devices that actually separate them so that you plug 3 phones in and they all just get their ring. Ident'a'call is the name for that. Cool stuff but still only 1 call at the time and if one is busy you only get the call waiting beeps.

Joe W.

That's just trying to polish a turd, doesn't work, they're still crap for business :)

Jokermia, Based on all above I think you are onto a looser
there may be ways to hack this using time profiles but administration & maintenance is going to be unbearable.
sometimes the best thing to do is tell the customer it is not practical without a significant upgrade (ISDN with DDI's & an additional phone)

If you do manage to find a hack that works I would bet half a Mars Bar that it comes back to bite your bum in less that 3 months (more like 3 weeks)

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Why not make 2 user profiles: one for Jim and one for John and have them log into the phone at the beginning of their shift and log out at the end. It will work with the 9508's. I have several customers who do this. They have a day and night shift. It's easier for me as an administrator for their phone system.

Karl

Avaya SME ACIS Certified

Thanks to all who've answered. Karl, will the User Profiles save the Fwd Unconditional programming for both users, i.e. the different phone numbers?

I'm ok with telling the customer that they'll just have to manually change the Fwd Unconditional phone number each time one of the workers is on the extension. That's why I love this place, because you guys will either tell me it can be done and show me how, or tell me it can't be done so I can stop worrying about it.

I may be able to talk the customer into using another extension for "John" so they can have the Fwd Unconditional settings on both extensions and just turn them on or off with the button programming. That seems like my easiest path, no?

Forward unconditional even works of the user is not logged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back