Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forward HTML Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexanBetty

Technical User
Jul 18, 2001
US
When I send an HTML email, I want to have a "forward to friend" button because when my original html email is forwarded it breaks up and is ugly. How can I do this?

TexanBetty

[rockband]
"I feel like a blonde today." OH, WAIT I AM a blonde!

Be very careful, spam laws are very strict on this, if you're creating the email on your server, but do not have the permission to sent to the reciever, regardless of who activated (ie the person who you originally sent the email to ), this is spamming, v. bad.

yes I realize the laws, thank you. this was a request from someone that receives my html emails.

TexanBetty

[rockband]

As simon said, you'll be violating spam laws and you'll have no control over who your recipient sends YOUR email to. However, I think that oyu could probably show that you didn't send the email directly. However, if you've gone through an ISP shutdown for sending unwanted email, you'd be shying away from this BIG TIME! If your recipient wants to forward it using his email client and SMTP server, and risk having his ISP account shut down, then let him make the 2 or 3 clicks it takes to do it from his machine.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

I hear you, really I do. May be I should explain a little more.

My newsletter is an opt-in newsletter. It adhears to the spam laws. And there is no advertising in it what so ever, it's an information newsletter. Now, the people whom have signed up for this newsletter would like to have the option to forward it from their email after I have sent it to them to their friends/co-workers etc. But when they try to do that for some reason the HTMl breaks up and it's not pretty anymore. I probably have no control over this because of the email software that they are using probably inserts breaks or whatever when they forward. But I thought that I would ask and see if there was a way.

TexanBetty

[rockband]

TexanBetty - the easiest solution is to fix your email newsletter.

However, to have a forwarding link, I'll use the example of a .php form, but any server-side script should do the trick.

You need a link on the newsletter:
Code:
<a href = "[URL unfurl="true"]http://example.com/forward-newsletter.php?ID=12">[/URL] Forward this </a>
Where ID matches the issue of the newsletter.

The forward-newsletter.php needs a form:
Code:
<form action="post-newsletter.php" method="post">
   <input type="hidden" name="newsletter-number" value="<?php echo($ID) ?>" />
   <label for="email">Forward newsletter <?php echo($ID) ?>to:</label>
   <input name="email" id="email" />
   <input type="submit" value="Send" />
</form>

and the post-newsletter.php needs to run the same script which sends the newsletter.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[ul][li]please tell us if our suggestion has helped[/li][li]need some help? faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

manarth, you funny guy.
"TexanBetty - the easiest solution is to fix your email newsletter."

Thanks for the help.[smile2]

TexanBetty

[rockband]
&quot;I feel like a blonde today.&quot; OH, WAIT I AM a blonde!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back