Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forward domain to a subdomain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladim

Programmer
Jul 31, 2008
TW
Greetings all,

I'm not an expert in the DNS field, so i'll appreciate any help. I have bought a domain and want to host it to a free dns host (editdns). I want to forward this domain to another subdomain, example:

my new doamin: mydomain.com
point to: subdomain.anotherdomain.com

I already created the NS records. Now can i simple create two CNAME records to point my new domain to the other subdomain? Ex.

mydomain.com CNAME subdomain.anotherdomain.com
CNAME subdomain.anotherdomain.com

At the monent i did this and it's not working. Do i have ta add an A record? The other subdomain is having a shared IP address.

I will really appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance,
Ladio

If you just want resolve, cname that only. You cannot cannot ( and it can cause problems ) to try and cname the whole domain. You can also add the A record for your as an A record so that will also resolve.

If you want editdns to host, would it not be better to just register it as your nameserver? Some DNS software will also allow mapping all the entries from multiple domains, so you only need to change 1 entry to affect all domains.

Is the issue you want to edit only one record or you don't want to pay (I assume that editdns costs something) for the extra domain?

Hi elgrandeperro,

Thanks for your reply, i really appreciate it!
Well, now i'm really confused. May be i was not clear in the first post, i'll try to summarize my problem:

I have a domain (ex. and a host. I created a subdomain (ex. subdomain.first-domain.com). I bought another domain ( which i want to point to the subdomain (subdomain.first-domain.com). I wanted to host the second domain in the same host provider, but the fees are really expensive. So i decided to host the second domain with editDns.net.

Another thing is that has a shared ip (shared hosting).

So basically i want to forward to subdomain.first-domain.com.

What i did was:
created three NS records:
first-domain.com. NS 1 86400 ns1.us.editdns.net.
first-domain.com. NS 1 86400 ns2.us.editdns.net.
first-domain.com. NS 1 86400 ns3.us.editdns.net.

I created also two CNAME records:
first-domain.com. CNAME 1 86400 subdomain.first-domain.com.
CNAME 1 86400 subdomain.first-domain.com.

That's all what i did. It's not working. I'm not sure if i should add an A record for the domain. Actually the IP for the subdomain.first-domain.com is a shared IP (with other domains in the host that i have the other site). So i don't know if it is right to add an A record with that IP.

Regarding your suggestion of NOT cname the whole domain, when i added the domain that record was created by default, i just edited it.

Thanks in advance,
Ladio

As to your aim, to forward to subdomain.first-domain.com and/or
First, add an A record with the IP of the web server for You can also add the A record for
Second, YOU stay in charge of second-domain (with edit-dns). You simply add an A record to the DOMAIN, and a CNAME for www,
both which point to the ip or name of

So on first-domain:

@ IN SOA ....

subdomain IN A 1.2.3.4
IN A 1.2.3.4

on second-domain

@ IN SOA
@ IN A 1.2.3.4
CNAME

I think you might have a typo on your example. You meant on your second-domain server, you put:

I created also two CNAME records:
second-domain.com. CNAME 1 86400 subdomain.first-domain.com.
CNAME 1 86400 subdomain.first-domain.com.

I don't think the first line works, because the server would ignore it (you are in charge of second-domain, and by doing this you invalidate your SOA). The second line is okay as long as there is an A record for subdomain.first-domain.com, I just like to match the bare domain and

Thanks elgrandeperro,

Your advise is much appreciated. Thanks a lot. Somehow the host of my site couldn't make it possible for me to forward the second domain to the other subdomain. However your suggestion is correct and may be someone can make use of it as well.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back