Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forward a fax to another fax 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sglascoe64

Technical User
Mar 20, 2016
US
We have an old Merlin Magix phone system and we have 3 fax lines. Those fax lines go through the system because we have to dial a "9" before the number when we fax just as we do when we call out. One of our fax machines is dead and I want to have faxes sent to our main fax number when a customer sends a fax to the dead fax machine. The fax machines are old (Savin 3651).

Is this something that can be done through the SMP connection to the phone system?

You could add a Primary Coverage button for the broken fax extension to a working fax extension, so that it would ring for both extension numbers.

If you have a PRI for the incoming calls and the faxes are coming in as DID's, you could add an entry to the Incoming Routing to translate the incoming digits for the broken fax to go to a working fax

If you have analog trunks, look at the programming to see which trunk is assigned to the broken fax and reassign it to a working fax.

The fax numbers are DID's. I don't know if they are analog trunks or not and really don't know how to tell. I wouldn't know how to add an entry to the Incoming Routing. I'm just trying to not have to get a new fax machine right now because we are trying to get away from faxes and only use email to receive orders.

Adding a Primary Coverage button for the broken fax to a working fax would be the easiest way to steer incoming faxes for both numbers to one machine. You need to know the extension numbers of the machines and go into Centralized Telephone Programming for the working machine to add the "button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back