Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formula to exclude selection from average

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvhazelbaker

Programmer
Dec 15, 2004
US
I'm trying to average a group of numbers in a field named [your priority number]. The form is in database view. The form includes the following fields:

Your Name
Role
Your Priority Number

Which in form view could look like this:

Your Name Role Your Priority Number
Jaime Team Leader 21
Angela FYI 99
Theresa Sponsor 13

When "FYI" is the selected role, I want that number to be excluded from the average. So rather than the average being 44.33, the formula would produce 17. I have tried the following with no success:

=iif([Role]="fyi",[your priority number]=0,sum([your priority number]))
and
=iif([Role]="fyi",[your priority number] is null,sum([your priority number]))

Any suggestions?

Try adding (modifying) a where clause in your record source like:
Code:
...where [Role] <> "fyi"

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

Try this
=Sum(IIf([Role]="fyi",0,[your priority number])/Sum(IIf([Role]="fyi",0,1)

The first portion is getting the sum of all values where role <> "FYI"
The sencond portion is getting the count of records where role <> "FYI"

Hope this helps.
Dan

I tried the second suggestion which produced an error. I'm not sure I understand how to the first suggestion. Any more ideas?

Rather than having a table as the record source, I was implying that a query be the record source thus removing the FYI role completely from the display (and from the calculation).

How are you calculating totals and averages in a Form?

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

The form is actually completely set up, I'm just trying to add this one little feature. The reason it is based on a table is because the "fyi" field is a lookup. There are a number of different titles that may be selected. However, "fyi" is the only title I want excluded. So the way it is currently set up:

The main form is [Review and Edit Staffing on a Project]
The subform is [Priority Data Table subform1]
Both forms pull from queries.

The first lookup field in the subform is [Role], pulled from a lookup table.
The second field to be averaged is [Your Priority Number], a blank field to be filled in.

The subform's default view is database. In the form footer, which can't be seen is a field named Total with the following formula =avg([your priority number]).

On the main form there is a field with the formula
=[Priority Data Table subform1]!Total that gives the average. This is working fine, but is currently figuring the priority number for the fyi role.

Does this help?

Replace [Role] in Dan's suggestion with the results of your Lookup.

OR
If the lookup is looking up a single roletype to returning 'FYI', use that field and roletype instead of [Role] and "fyi" in his code.

Greg

I am pretty sure I don't understand.

This is the way the roles table is laid out

ID Role
-----------
1 Leader
2 Sponsor
3 Team Leader
4 FYI

I have tried replacing the "fyi" with the actual ID (4) but that isn't working either.

Is that what you are suggesting I do, or did I completely misinterpret what you were saying?

Try replacing
Code:
=avg([your priority number])
in your footer with
Code:
=Sum(IIf([COLOR=red][ID][/color]=4,0,[your priority number])/Sum(IIf([COLOR=red][ID][/color]=4,0,1)
where [ID] is the field from your query that contains the roleID

Greg

That unfortunately didn't work. I'm assuming because the actual field name is Role. This is possible isn't it? I've been working on it for over a week now and nothing is working. There has to be some way.

When you say it doesn't work, what kind of errors are you getting? [your priority number] is number data type right?

Another method is to use DLookup on your query...
DLookup("Avg([your priority number]", "NameOfQuery", "Role not like 'fyi'")

In the prior tries it was just saying Error in the box, with your formula I am getting #Name? in the box. I tried the formula you listed and got the return #Error. I also altered the formula. The "NameofQuery" was changed to the name of the main form to see if that would perhaps work, it returned #Error as well.

I hope you didn't use "NameOfQuery". You're supposed to use the name of the query you bound your form to.

I don't see anything wrong with Dan's suggestion

=Sum(IIf([Role]="fyi",0,[your priority number])/Sum(IIf([Role]="fyi",0,1)

Perhaps this...

=Sum(IIf([Priority Data Table subform1]![Role]="fyi",0,[Priority Data Table subform1]![your priority number])/Sum(IIf([Priority Data Table subform1]![Role]="fyi",0,1)

There is no reason why these formulas aren't working, but for some they aren't. I even replaced "fyi" with the id for that role, "4", but it didn't work either.

In response to the e-mail previous to the last, I didn't use "NameOfQuery" I actually used the name given to the form and/or query.

Second, I've never had that be an issue before, using the same name on a control as the controlsource. Upon making changes, it doesn't appear to change the outcome.

Maybe prepend Forms("Priority Data Table subform1").[Role] or Forms![Priority Data Table subform1]![Role] using Dan's suggestion.

If you don't need to see those values, I would filter out those records as traingamer originally suggested.

BTW, you said that the field you wanted is =[Priority Data Table subform1]!Total? Is Total a field in the subform? Perhaps you can adjust that field to exclude "fyi"? If you don't see a total field in datasheet view, try opening it up in form view and check out what's the control source for total.

Total is a field not seen in the subform where the calculation is taking place. That is where I've tried excluding the "fyi".

As for including the specific syntax, I mapped the form and subform exactly, and it returned the error.

So that's where you set the control source for Total = Dan's formula?

If all else fails, can you filter out "fyi" in the subform's record source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back