Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

forms within frames 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rincewind44

Programmer
May 21, 2003
IE
Hi,
I have drop down select form in a frame on a page and when I select a value and I want to post that selected value to another frame within the same page. How can I include the target frame within the action description?
Thanks

Have you tried just specifying the target in the form tag?

Kevin
A+, Network+, MCP

I have tried putting the target in the form <FORM action='targetHere' method=POST> but it didn't work

Try
Code:
<FORM action=&quot;pagename&quot; target=&quot;framname&quot; method=&quot;post&quot;>

Kevin
A+, Network+, MCP

Thanks, that's got it targeting the proper frame now cheers,
how can i get the variable passed i.e. if it were a jsp page i could use the getParameter() method so that I can run a java if statement off it?
Thanks,

When you submit the form the variables should go to whatever page you specified for 'action' in the form tag. I don't know how you'd get that parameter into a client-side script or program like java or javascript. I'm not sure that's possible. You'll probably have to use some server-side script like php or perl.

Kevin
A+, Network+, MCP

i tried the get getParameter() method and it seems to work fine, thanks for your help.
Also, if you have 5 frames on a page and a lists in 4 of the five frames is it possible to gather all 4 values from each of the 4 lists at once and use them for the 5th frame?

Good, glad you got it to work.
As far as the lists, you could probably do it using javascript but I don't know exactly how it would be done.

Kevin
A+, Network+, MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back