Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

forms on server

Status
Not open for further replies.

myriad46

Instructor
Apr 21, 2004
US
I have a group of computers on a LAN. 4 are acting like terminals and 1 is the master. I am trying to share a database on the master to the other 4. I would like to just allow those users to use the forms from the database without opening the fullblown access window. Is there a way to have windows just open a form without the access program window or to lock it all somehow so that they do not have access (no pun intended) to the rest of the features of access. Thanks.

Ed

Typically, by splitting your database into a front-end(local PC) and back-end(Server) databases you can control what the User can do with their system. The front-end would only have forms, queries, reports, and any static tables necessary to run the system. You can limit this front-end to just the form or forms and other items that want them to have access to. Then you can also create an .mde file rather than releasing the .mdb file. They can only execute the features of access and not change anything.

This front-end database would have linkeages to your back-end tables on the server so that you forms can use them as RecordSources.

Post back if you have any further questions.

Bob Scriver
[blue]Want the best answers? See FAQ181-2886[/blue]

Thanks for the help, but i don't think it will work in this particualr application. Appreciate the reply though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back